Quality comparison: ST, Cricket, Virgin

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FHThomas, Aug 21, 2012.

1. FHThomas macrumors newbie

I've heard at least a couple of times on this site that Virgin isn't very good: slow, unreliable . . . But, to afford a 4S, I'm going to have to go with one of the 3 non-contract outfits. Can anyone help me compare them as to the quality of their service? Will really appreciate whatever you can tell me.

2. Demonface macrumors 6502a

Well I've used /using ST and thus far its very good for the value.

3. blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

I'm on AT&T but I do know of others on VM and ST. Cricket isn't offered in my area.

VM is pretty terrible with respect to data speeds. I think Sprint in general, which is what VM uses as a network, is just really terrible with it comes to data on the iPhone. So I'd say pass on that front.

ST is probably a safe bet for you. You'll pay more than VM but you'll be running on AT&T's superior network. I would just warn you though that these past few weeks there has been a lot of talk over at the Howardforums regarding poor data performance with respect to iPhone's on ST. In fact there have been some posts on this forum too recently about it. So proceed with caution.

4. FHThomas, Aug 21, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2012

FHThomas thread starter macrumors newbie

This is really helpful . . . a little discouraging, but helpful. I'm going to look for Howardforums now . . . and found it, registered . . . the more input the better, I guess. :)

----------

Thank you . . . this, of course, is what I want to hear . . . but the next post suggests I'll need to be a little cautious. And, lord knows, I am looking at this whole thing as hard as I can. Anyway, again, thanks.

5. blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

Here you go. Click on the VM USA link and ST for specific threads. There are also a few active threads on this forum regarding the recent issues with ST. From what I gather, ST's data service has been sporadic for the past 3 weeks. You might want to wait a little and see if that changes. If it does, then I would recommend ST. If you go with VM you will have consistent access to data as long as it's in your area. But your speeds will be slow.

6. FHThomas thread starter macrumors newbie

Great! And good advice . . . to wait a bit and see if the current troubles are resolved. I'm trying to hold off as long as I can: intending to buy an iPhone 4S when it looks as if I can get one for the best possible price (without having to wait too long) . . . I'm guessing around 2nd or 3rd week of September. So, that should be long enough to see how ST is doing. Thanks!

7. blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

My pleasure. Also keep in mind that with VM you must purchase an iPhone directly from them that will only run on their network. With ST you can bring your own GSM device.

8. FHThomas thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah! This might have occurred to me at some point (gotta hope so), but I really am learning the ropes . . . again, you've given me info. I will use. Thanks!