Quality control issues with v-moda? Need recommendation...

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by adamk77, Jan 15, 2008.

1. adamk77 macrumors 6502

Hi all,

I'm a happy owner of the iPhone for about a week now. I own a nice pair of over the ear head phones at home, and the music sounds so much better than the stock iPhone headphones.

I've been reading the posts on this forum, and lot of people seem to recommend the v-moda. I've been reading the reviews on amazon.com as well on the apple store. An all too common problem with the v-moda seems to be the quality control issues.

Way too many people have had their headphones break. Hundred dollars isn't pocket change, and I'd like the goods I buy with my hard earned money to be worth its cost.

Are there any other headphones that are in similar league with the v-moda but does not suffer from the poor construction? I would like an in-ear head phone with a built in microphone. My budget is below $150.

I know there are adapters, but I do not want to deal with the hassles of a long cord.

Thank you.

2. O. Frabjous-Dey macrumors regular

I bought these. After a month, the right side was noticeably less loud than the left. I thought something was going wrong with my ears until I reversed the buds, at which point the phenomenon reversed itself.

Customer support is impossible to find on V-Moda's website, and from what I read they'll charge you for shipping the headphones back. Totally not recommended.

I'm looking at these next:
    http://www.tuaw.com/2008/01/17/etymotic-hf2-headset-for-the-iphone/
    It's a little over your budget, but Ety is known for its quality. I used to own their ER-4Ps -- it was like hearing the music inside your head.

3. adamk77 thread starter macrumors 6502

I couldn't find a in ear headphone with a mike that fit my needs

1. in my price point
    2. durable

The v-moda just seemed to have way too many quality control issues as you've stated.

I decided that I don't need the mike on my headphones. I settled on a cheap adapter from iFrogz ( http://ifrogz.com/products/fitz/ ) and ordered a Sennheiser CX300 ( http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-CX-300B-CX300-B-Earbuds/dp/B000E1FYQA/ref=pd_bxgy_e_img_b ).

It'll be a bit less convenient when answering calls, but the CX300 seem to be getting awesome praise for its sound quality, and for the price, I just couldn't it up when compared to these expensive iPhone compatible headphone w/ mike with quality issues.

4. OrangeCuse44 macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

I just searched v-moda because of this exact problem! Ive only had these since christmas all of a sudden yesterday this problem happened to my right earbud! I bought these through Amazon. What did you do about this??

5. ben5959 macrumors regular

hey guys,
    ultimate ears Ue-4vi are the way to go, I had the vmodas and i had the exact same problem, the left ear was WAY quieter than the right, I took them back and got store credit, then I purchased the UE's on Ebaay new for about $70. Im much happier with these over the vmodas. The UE's dont have as much bass, but they are much more crisp and clear than the vmodas. Also they have the mic control buton down low so its easier to use. i think the Apple store sells them for $150, but look on amazon and ebay and you can get a deal

6. OrangeCuse44 macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

I dont find the bass to be that big at all with the v-modas. So with those, will bass basically be non existent? Have you used them with the bass booster EQ option?

7. ben5959 macrumors regular

when you use the Vmodas and The UE's side by side, you notice that there is a deeper sound with the vmodas that seems to overpower the music when compared to the UE's. The Ue's on the other hand are very crisp and good with the mids and highs, im no expert, but i have a great ear and ive found that the Ue's with the eq bass booster on is the prefect overall bass and crisp high and mids combination. also the vmodas suck in general and they all stop working within two weeks.

8. OrangeCuse44 macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

The thing is I loved how the v-modas sounded when they worked. Obv its not a good product but im going for sound like that.

9. DavoMrMac macrumors 6502

DavoMrMac

With the V-Moda's double check you are using the correct size ear silicons. It makes a lot of difference to the sound if you have got a good fit on these types of earbuds.

10. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

11. MkeSnd macrumors newbie

The V-MODA warranty!

All V-MODA headphones come with a 1 year V-MODA Premier Warranty when purchased directly from their website or through an Authorized V-MODA dealer.
    You can read up on or start the warranty process at this link: http://www.shop.v-moda.com/t-returns.aspx.

If you fall under the warranty, they will gladly replace them with a brand new pair. All they ask is to send the defective pair back to their warrarty department. Then they will ship you one for free. The process is really quick and simple. By the time you know it, you will find your new pair of V-MODA headphones right back where they belon.g

:D