quality of MBP13 2015 display for design, photography

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by terencedriver, Apr 25, 2015.

1. terencedriver macrumors member

How does the display quality of the 2015 MBP13 compare to the rMB, iMac and MBP15?

Im interested in colour coverage and accuracy for design and photography not exaggerated colours and PPI.

2. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

The 13" base MBP hasn't been updated since 2012 (I think?) and that one uses a much lower resolution TN based panel, which isn't exactly what a photographer would call color-accurate.

The new 12" MB, the 13"/15" rMBPs and all iMacs use IPS-based displays, which will have a lot more color coverage and will likely maintain a more accurate calibration.

So basically, virtually all new Macs have very good displays.

3. terencedriver thread starter macrumors member

This from Apple says the MBP 13 retina display is IPS not TN
    https://www.apple.com/uk/macbook-pro/features-retina/

4. Smoothie macrumors 6502

5. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

If you guys read my post a little more carefully, you would notice that I was talking about the BASE (i.e. Classic) 13" MBP, which Apple still sells on their store for $1,099. That model in fact uses a TN panel (and so do the MBAs). Perhaps I should have been a little more clear by calling it the "cMBP". :p

6. Miltz macrumors 6502

with the exception go the iMac, all the retina displays are around the same quality and you should see no difference between them. If you're looking at a tool for photo editing, I recommend the 15 inch model. I have the 13" inch model and it's too small for photoshop as a main system.

7. mayuka macrumors 6502a

mayuka

Actually, the TN panels used in the old Macbook Pro 13" non-retina had (for TN panels) very good color space (including color gamut, color saturation and color fidelity if you want to separate them). Black and white points were very good too. The only thing that were not good were viewing angles when compared to IPS panels. So please, do not confuse color accuracy with viewing angles.

8. davys macrumors regular

I have the 27" retina iMac as my main machine for photo editing. Do you think the new 13" MBP retina is good enough for basic editing of photos and storage when on the road (Photoshop, Capture One, Nik and Topaz), with the main edits being done when back at base on the 27"?

I was always of the mind to upgrade my 15" 2009 MPB with a new 15" but given what I actually use it for, I'm now thinking I can happily use the new 13" retina MBP, mainly for storage and initial edits when travelling.

Apologies to OP if he feels hi-jacked, but still relevant I think!

9. terencedriver thread starter macrumors member

The 13 will work better for me onr road with an desktop eg iMac back at base.

Is there variation in the panels that actually end up in laptops? Other threads suggest it's a lottery - you could end up with a low quality panel.

Dell used to do this ..

10. mayuka macrumors 6502a

mayuka

If for you a 13" screen is big enough on the road I'd see no problem why not. Most people choose 15" instead because they need the space and size for editing. With 13" you can only see a relatively small portion of the image you are editing. When you are used to big 27" screens it will definitely require a change in your editing habits. That was one of the reasons I switched from the 11" MBA to the 13" rMBP. I used the 11" mostly for presorting photos. But the tiny screen (and the rather bad TN panel) prevented me from properly evaluating the photos. So it's more a thing of your personal preferences and if size and weight outweighs the screen real estate.

As far as I know Apple uses two panel manufacturers: Samsung and LG. Depending on your color profile you should see either A029 or A02A with the 2015 models. There are not many differences between the two panels. I doubt that anyone can tell the difference if both panels are positioned side by side. You should check your display for the infamous backlight bleeding, ghosting and yellow tint issues.

11. Miltz macrumors 6502

Of course. Just calibrate both monitors so the output is identical