quality of video chatting with airport extreme base station

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by thesixthman88, Oct 17, 2010.

1. thesixthman88 macrumors newbie

hey, i wanted to know how good the quality is for video chatting (primarily through the webcam on a macbook) when using the airport extreme base station. also, does anyone know the data transfer rate on the AEBS? Thanks

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The Airport Extreme is able to handle very high quality streaming. If you are seeing problems, it could the limitations of the camera, your internet speeds, or the other person's internet speeds.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The quality should be the same as with other routers. The transfer speed depends on the internet connection, test it with www.speedtest.net or any other national speed test website.
    The current AEBS supports 802.11n, thus it should offer more than 5MB/s, more than enough for video chatting.

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Data rate is up to 450mbps if you have the right hardware. You're ISP connection will likely be the limiting factor. The only issue with the AEBS is it lacks QoS so it may have issues with simultaneous use of two or more machines.

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Theoretically though, or is the practical speed really 56MB/s? I have an older model, with 802.11n capability and I use it at 5GHz and all I get is 7MB/s, which is okay for small transfers.

6. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Yes. 450mbps is the theoretical maximum for the new unit running 3 stream n. This has been confirmed with people running with the Intel card as a client. Certainly disk transfers are limited due to the wimpy processor in the AEBS and practical speed will be affected by distance and the environment.