Quality of zoomed iPhone apps on iPad2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Casimono, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Casimono macrumors member

Hi folks,

on the iPad 1, when using iPhone apps and zooming in, the picture got very pixelated.

Now there are a lot of iPhone apps with the double resolution of 640x960, because they have been optimized for the iPhone 4 retina display.

My question: when running such iPhone apps on the iPad 2 in zoomed mode, do you still get the pixelated 320x480 version, or do you get the nicer 640x960 version?

Thanks!

2. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

I asked this as well. I'm still waiting for a definitive answer.

3. iMJustAGuy, Mar 13, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2011

iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

Only by jailbreaking can you view the apps in "retina mode" (to the best of my knowledge).

4. No1up macrumors regular

Thats right iPhone apps at 2x look like trash, jailbreak and buy a $.99 app that upconverts these apps to retina, and BAM!! looks great all across the board... So if the apps are updated for retina, yes they can look great on the iPad...

5. J Griz 757 macrumors regular

J Griz 757

To answer your question, no the iPad2 doesn't fix the pixel issue when zooming in on iPhone apps.

6. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

His question was to see if the retina enabled apps would show at their native resolution on the iPad (which would be bigger than "normal" apps) and the answer is no, unless you jailbreak.

7. J Griz 757 macrumors regular

J Griz 757

Haha I'm a idiot.

Thanks for clarifying. Kids make it so hard to focus sometimes on here haha.

8. pmz macrumors 68000

It's really poor that this app cross over has not been improved.

9. WiiDSmoker macrumors 65816

WiiDSmoker

Unfortunately it probably won't ever be improved because Apple makes more money if you buy an iPhone app and then buy the exact same iPad app.

They originally allowed this because the iPad was a fresh start and needed a bullet point that allowed all iPhone apps to run.

10. Casimono thread starter macrumors member

Thanks everyone for their replies.

That's too bad. I was planning to buy an iPad2 and use all those iPhone apps I invested money in. The iPad just got way less attractive.

Any word when Apple will fix this, if ever?

Cheers

11. DS3 macrumors 6502a

It doesn't seem like apple intends to, but really the jailbreak app retinapad works perfectly. You can do it right now on iPad 1, its easy.

iPad 2 will probably take a while to be cracked though.