Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sahil

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2001
Bartltt..small place in IL
I was just curious about the whole thing with Quanta and Apple about the new iMacs...so i decided to check out Quanta and this is what i found...

http://www.quanta.com.tw/Product/eprdsub.htm

and well it is true that quanta makes LCD monitors and it also says that they are behind the idea of replacing desktop computers with LCD Desktops, i find this intriguing cos apple may have the same vision, if apple too has this idea that desktop comps are becoming obsolete then mabye periodically we will see apple replacing some of their traditional G4 etc. with these new revoutionary light weight, slim LCD PC's.
well thats my tho't any ideas...
feedback?...

---
sah*

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
when envisioning the future (meaning at least 10 years from now) everyone would have their own laptop like computer, hopefully some time of tablet pc. this would much increase the demand for lcd touch sensitive screens. and SCREW the pdas. give it up, if everyone has a computer, then why would you need a pda?

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
Laptops....

Hi

I have a PBG4 and a Newton. I use the newton on trains when I havent got the PB on me and vis versa!

I cant wait for these iMacs!

Any pics out there yet?

Guy

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
wow monkeyboy said something that wasnt mean or insulting. good job monkeyboy. isnt being nice much more fun?

pdas vs laptops vs tablets. personally i see pdas as evolving into a tablet form. as wireless networking becomes more advanced i see these pda/tablet machines being able to mirror your laptop(which is maybe inconvienently stored in your backback or the overhead storage compartment) or your desktop (which may be at home at work or in the other room) so that your tablet can function on its own or use the storage and processing acpabilities of your computer (be it desktop or laptop).

as far as lcds in the future. lcd are the future no doubt there. crts will only be used for very specific uses like video editing (lcds are even replacing this to some extent). but integrating the lcd with the dektop... hm... it will happen with the imac much like the crt tube was integrated with the imac, but it wont be the rule. i still see people wanting separate boxes and lcds in many cases. with bluetooth tech and such i think we might begin to see super separated computers and laptops that disassemble. imagine being able to remove the lcd of your laptop and be able to use it as a table on the bus while your computer is in your backpack. imagine taking you laptop to work and being able to separate the lcd and the keyboard so that you can position the screen at a more comfortable level and have your keyboard also in a more ergonomic position.

lcds are the future as far as monitors go no doubt about it, but if you want a really good vision of the future think about how wireless will be integrated into the mix.

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
Originally posted by AmbitiousLemon
wow monkeyboy said something that wasnt mean or insulting. good job monkeyboy. isnt being nice much more fun?

shut up or i'll break you. sorry, i just haven't gotten in a fight with spikey or kela lately so i'm actually in a good mood.

agreenster

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2001
Portables

Hey--for some reason that link didnt work, but I have some thoughts regarding the issue:

Screw PDA's? Nah. Dont screw anything. You never know, Apple may come out with something that is really revolutionary and high quality, and you may end up wanting one. Then you'd have egg on your face as you sheepishly ordered the new iPDA from MacWarehouse. Hey, I didnt want an MP3 player either, until the iPod came out.

People have different technology needs, and to some people, PDA's are very useful and helpful, and more cost effective than a laptop. They may not need a laptop or a tablet, so they get a 300 dollar PDA and thats fine. I know Apple may never come out with one, but that doesnt mean that they are junk. Personally, I dont want one or use one, but I know plenty of people who do, and find them useful.

The only thing that concerns me with a very slim, flat screen desktop is its expandibility. I know my G4 is kinda bulky, but I want it to be because it has three hard drives, and enough "padding" around it to sustain a good accidental chair whacking once in a while. Plus, processors are easier to make if they dont have to worry about cramming them into a tiny little space. I would certainly enjoy a nice, small, flat screen desktop, but not so small that I lose expandibility.

And one more thing. This whole "who has more posts, I'm not fighting with so-and-so, who knows more, who is the senior member, blah blah blah crap should stop." Steve Jobs himself could stumble on this site, become a new member, have one teeny post, and know more than all you idiots. Let it go. Crybabies.

agreenster

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2001
Now look what happened

Hmm. I dont know, but I think Spikey was referring to my comment when he started his little tyraid.

And yes, this site IS about content. What good is going to a site and just reading posts about a bunch of (yes, I'll say again) crybabies. I want to read Apple content, not watch a nerd soap opera. Everybody get off your stupid kick. No one thinks you're cool because you can say "shut the f*ck up" on an internet post. Anyone with one brain cell and half a finger can do that.

Talk about the Apple Desktop. Quit fighting.

hinkhous

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2001
Soap Opera vs. Mac Discussion

I'm a relative newbie here, but my take on this site is that most people know their stuff. I think they get bored with spouting off all the time about AltiVec, OS X, LCD iMacs and the like that they just need to lash out every so often. I don't think anyone takes it too personally, otherwise they would just leave or post somewhere else. In the end this is an open forum that allows us all to voice our unsolicited opinion. Sometimes that strays a bit from the Mac.

joey j

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2001
[edited out ]

Oh dear, spikey, it would appear you have forgotten your claims of the
750FX 400 MHz FSB. Remember? The IBM press release claimed only 200 MHz,
as everyone can verify for themselves:

http://www-3.ibm.com/chips/news/2001/1017_750fx.html
http://www-3.ibm.com/chips/products/powerpc/newsletter/oct2001/new-prod1.html

(No doubt this is due to my usage of words longer than three syllables,
which implies a certain intellectual snobbishness, or perhaps it is my
right wing political views, or...?)

[Edited by Macrumors on 12-16-2001 at 05:00 AM]

DannyZR2

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2001
Texas
mnky

Originally posted by mnkeybsness
when envisioning the future (meaning at least 10 years from now) everyone would have their own laptop like computer, hopefully some time of tablet pc. this would much increase the demand for lcd touch sensitive screens. and SCREW the pdas. give it up, if everyone has a computer, then why would you need a pda?

screw the PDA .. what?? if everyone has a computer.. they might want a portable handheld to go with it so they can actually leave the house and not be stuck in their rooms all day on their 'laptop-like computers' no matter how small they may be.. if you can't pick it up in one hand.. it's not really that portable is it?

there are two common needs for the consumer..

1) a desktop with either lcd or crt with a large enough screen to do actual work on.. email, stocks, internet, typical consumer material.. (could even be an ibook on a desk..)

2) a portable (not talking laptops) with a small enough screen to make it fit in your pocket.. call it a PDA or not.. whatever..

#2 will increase with the expansion of Wi-Fi

my point is.. for those of you who can't read more than 2 lines is this:

desktops are great for doing everything AT HOME, but consumers who have lives want something they can move around with while staying connected.

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
Re: mnky

Originally posted by DannyZR2
Originally posted by mnkeybsness

screw the PDA .. what?? if everyone has a computer.. they might want a portable handheld to go with it so they can actually leave the house and not be stuck in their rooms all day on their 'laptop-like computers' no matter how small they may be.. if you can't pick it up in one hand.. it's not really that portable is it?

there are two common needs for the consumer..

1) a desktop with either lcd or crt with a large enough screen to do actual work on.. email, stocks, internet, typical consumer material.. (could even be an ibook on a desk..)

2) a portable (not talking laptops) with a small enough screen to make it fit in your pocket.. call it a PDA or not.. whatever..

#2 will increase with the expansion of Wi-Fi

my point is.. for those of you who can't read more than 2 lines is this:

desktops are great for doing everything AT HOME, but consumers who have lives want something they can move around with while staying connected.

good points. im not sure what problems people are having with a pda. if its a "apple said they wouldnt" or "apple should wait awhile" then those are valid arguments that i agree with but that time may take care of. but these "there is no use for a pda", then i have to disagree.

heres a thought not sure if it flys so let me know. if apple releases (sometime in the future which means a few years) a pda and crambs a bunch of different things into it and changes the typical pda look then do you think apple could get away with calling it something other than a pda? i dont mean like "ipod" because its still being called a mp3 player. so have your ipad or your iwalk but call it something other than a pda. not sure how consumers would respond but what do you guys think?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.