Quantity of iPhones available at launch

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ri0ku, Sep 9, 2012.

1. ri0ku macrumors 6502a

Do you guys think that this year we might see a similar situation with the new iPhone that we had with the iPad where their was plenty available ?

When the 3rd gen iPad came out it was supplied really well at most places, just wondering if we may see this happen again with the iPhone as its nearly always a nightmare trying to get a hold of one if you don't preorder right away.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I expect the same situation as the iPhone 4s launch and lines to form and inventories to be limited

3. Moccasin macrumors 6502a

Moccasin

I think Apple saw the iPad 3 launch as a success and it cut down on scalping when everyone knew there was no point paying over the odds.

The number of leaks suggests that production has been running for months at high levels and so I think there will be plenty to go around. They'lllikely even have time to have some deep sea container deliveries sent to the US so that air freighting is focused on re-supply. If the GM of iOS 6 is ready, they can have them sent now.

4. ri0ku thread starter macrumors 6502a

I was thinking the same, really helps with the scalping. Oh and nice to see a fellow geordie around here.

5. noteple macrumors 65816

Apple is getting better at logistics and bottlenecks.

However its not newsworthy to make it easy.

6. Moccasin macrumors 6502a

Moccasin

Afraid I'm an adopted Geordie! Originally hail from Yorkshire.

Tim Cook is the master of supply logistics and this will be his chance to really show what Apple can do. The investors will be watching this launch very closely. They'll expect some negative comparisons with the 4/4S launches if there are no/fewer queues but the launch weekend sales figures should quickly dispell those.

7. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Projections are for 10m units the first week, so hopefully they have enough stock

8. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

i too believe it will be more like a typical iphone launch vs latest generation ipad3 which to an extent was never really even "out of stock". the iPad 2 on the other hand was almost impossible to get the first month.

9. Cougarcat macrumors 604

He's already shown Apple what he can do, he's been doing this since he came to Apple in 1998 as Apple's COO.

The reason Apple is getting better is that they are expanding suppliers and having longer production runs (hence the extra leaks.) It has nothing to do with Cook as CEO.

10. Moccasin macrumors 6502a

Moccasin

But it was only the iPad 3 launch where supply matched demand - or thereabouts - so clearly he has been improving the supply chain in many ways.

11. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Of course, but it's not due to him becoming CEO, he would've done the same as COO under Jobs.

12. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

I guess this will depend on how long the lines are at launch.

13. bushman4 macrumors 68000

No matter what, they'll find something they don't like with the Iphone5. But they'll buy it anyway. As for supply, depends on how many countries its launching in. Tim Cooke wouldn't pick a launch date unless adequate supply was available. When I say adequate, enough to fill pre-orders and a days worth of store business. After that there will be a wait.

14. Moccasin macrumors 6502a

Moccasin

No I agree, but the investors and media don't see it that way. In any case, he has largely been running the company since Steve Jobs took his first leave of absence.

My point was more that it has taken him this long to get everything into place. I guess the success of the iPhone took them by surprise to some extent and a lot of hard work (new suppliers and logistics chains) to get to the point where they can (hopefully) meet demand.

I still expect negative comments - the lack of queues will be seen by some as an indicator that excitement is less. We had those stories at the iPad launch and we will no doubt see them again

15. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Idiotic articles about Apple are a universal constant. They will be written regardless of what the launch looks like.

I would like to think that there will be less of them this time around because the media will have learned from the iPad 3's launch, but I doubt it.

16. Mr Hill macrumors 6502

The iPhone 4s launch wasnt even that bad last year. People were able to walk into apple stores and carrier stores and still pick one up on launch day even if they didn't preorder or wait in line.

Some stores did have issues with certain colors/sizes selling out but those were mainly the 16gb white models. People who didn't care and just wanted any 4s were able to get one.

17. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

I hope there will be enough phones to ward off the damn scalpers.

18. mantan macrumors 68000

I think it all depends on what the upgrade brings.

The 4S upgrade was minor. It was pretty much people who wanted 'the latest and greatest' even though the hardware modifications were modest. If the spec jump was as big as the 3GS to 4 was, demand could reach those levels again.

My guess is it'll be somewhere in between. There will be the diehard Apple fanbase lining up that makes good promotional material...but enough supply to pretty much handle most early needs.