• Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
After reading all the past posts on Quark, I don't understand why people that are supposed to be Mac supporters want Quark to pull OSX support and only offer it for Windows XP. If there is a popular title in software we don't want everyone saying, oh look they don't have a Mac version.

I don't use Quark, but my sister is a graphics designer and does a lot of ads and uses Quark all the time.

Comment

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002
i dont know what it is but.....judging from those screen shots..... damn, quark just doesnt even seem like it competes with ID.
i hope quark fails enough to allow indesign into the industry. we need options, not one exclusive company, look what quark did to us. although photoshop is pretty much THE industry standard and they still improve their product. hmmm, i dont know, just the fact that quark gave mac users the finger....damn i should of saved that link. it was an interview pretty much saying that if you dont like the software too bad. and that they feel macs ard dead and would rather be in the pc market. i dont know, thats not a quote but its close.

quarks late adoptation of osx was very irresponsible and told the mac community that they dont, or wont until forced to, support apple or their users.

Comment

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002
Originally posted by Abercrombieboy
After reading all the past posts on Quark, I don't understand why people that are supposed to be Mac supporters want Quark to pull OSX support and only offer it for Windows XP. If there is a popular title in software we don't want everyone saying, oh look they don't have a Mac version.

I don't use Quark, but my sister is a graphics designer and does a lot of ads and uses Quark all the time.

probably because quark, from their own lips has stated how they dont really care about the mac community. can you believe that? its like shooting yourself in the foot. they WANT US to switch to WINDOWS. oh its also the fact that they are a poor company to rely on and we now have better options. any quark user not willing to try ID is most likely because their comfortable with quark and dont like to change....the fear factor. i know quark all to well, over ten years of use, for power users it is limited and the work flow is slow, they dont even have key commands for the tool bar...you have to cycle through with some F8 bullsht. i dont know i forgot the actual command seeing as how USLESS it is.

ID is very user friendly and im not afraid to learn a new application. besides....apps like these arent difficult to figure out.

Comment

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
This is version 5 carbonized.

Nothing new here except "undos". Pathetic.

Scripts ---> Save EACH page as EPS or PDF? I'm assuming this means you STILL can't export an entire document to PDF. Only a page / spread at a time.

:rolleyes:

Comment

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002
Originally posted by e-coli
This is version 5 carbonized.

Nothing new here except "undos". Pathetic.

Scripts ---> Save EACH page as EPS or PDF? I'm assuming this means you STILL can't export an entire document to PDF. Only a page / spread at a time.

:rolleyes:

haha yea i saw their cheesy way of pdf'ing :D
you think that a company like quark would have a better pdf solution. hahaha the pdf file format is adobe's, i bet quark hates that :D

Comment

crassusad44

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2001
Scandinavia
Available when? Autum 2003, with Passport shipping early 2004? Quark is already well over a year late... And ID3 is coming later this year... Adobes second OS X release of ID....

Comment

MM2270

macrumors regular
May 2, 2002
New York
U-G-L-Y

Geez, even in Aqua, Quark still looks pretty fugly if you ask me. As a few others have said already, this is nothing but carbonized version 5. It figures that even after all this time, Quark will still give users a lame-ass upgrade! :rolleyes: I hope they go out of business after this...

Comment

dickrichie

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2002
To little to late

Maybe if they had jumped on the X train earlier they would have a fighting chance but with ID3 around the corner and huge agencies dropping Quark like a bad habit its time to let dead dogs rest. Quark you had a nice run but its time to step aside and let the professionals take the helm. Maybe you can get a deal with a coloring book distributor. Those books dont require much thought just black outlines on a blank background. Long live Adobe and InDesign.

Comment

seamusholman

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2003
OMG, I think it looks awesome

As someone who actually uses Quark as my primary tool in producing a physical magazine, I must say this is really great.

I prefer the simple power-user friendly interface that Quark has, with great keyboard control, and a consistent GUI that hasn't changed much for a long time. Rapid development is really useful for power users and nerds, but I could never get our editors or business staff to learn a new program like InDesign without much cajoling.

That said, I am anxious to get a better and carbonized version of Quark on my machine. I have a strong need to transition to an XML workflow. I must have multiple undos ASAP, and I really want some better batch processing functions soon (better scriptability at least).

Unfortunately for Quark, even though I'm sure our editors will throw a fit and I'll probably have to ban them from page production, I am quickly getting wooed by InDesign, I just simply cannot wait any longer for QX6. For the print industry, the time has finally come to migrate to OS X and I'm giving quark 3 months to ship before I migrate our whole production to InDesign.

Comment

Java

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2003
Marin County (where else?)
been waiting how long?

And how much are they going to charge us for "carbonizing" it?

Quark, you might as well not bother. I doubt it will handle Post Script Level III jobs with the same ease as ID can.

Also, about the PDF exporting. Who wants to bet we will still have to use Acrobat Distiller?

Just a thought:
Maybe Adobe should do their own "switch" campaign on ID vs. Quark. I would love it! I'd write in my story!

Comment

abates25

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2003
Seattle
How long does it take?

Looks like Quark 5 wrapped in an aqua interface. What was so difficult it took so long to decompile and recompile? Am I missing something? It's not like they suddenly invented 3-dimensional printing and Quark had to rethink design concepts.

Not very happy that the last tool making me keep an OS 9 System Folder around is one of the most expensive, most popular applications I use. Horrible.

Comment

SumDumGuy

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2002
Loserville
I've been holding onto the quiet hope that maybe, just maybe Quark would release a decent version on XPress to run on X. I use Quark everyday at my job at a print house and it's what I'm familiar with. I have InDesign (got it in Adobe Design collection when I went all OS X at home) but I just don't have time to learn to use it at work. We have over gig after gig of archived jobs that were created in Quark and it would be a major hassle to convert or recreate them in InDesign.

I've hoped, prayed, dreamed that QXP6 would be a decent release. I "acquired" a copy of the pre-release of XP6 today and you know what? IT BLOWS GOATS! Once again Quark has too little, too late. When you try to create a PDF (in the "Scripts" menu of all places) guess what opens? That's right, Classic opens up so it can find Distiller. The entire app seems like nothing more than XP5 with an aqua skin. I've already trashed the app out of disgust and WILL NOT be upgrading when it is released.

Maybe it's time I started doing some of my freelance work using InDesign so I can learn it in a non-mission-critical environment.

I can't believe Quark...what is this company thinking!?

Comment

What's a cubit?

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2003
Quark == Wordstar

My wife's design department is moving from PC's to Mac's and with that is moving to In Design, especially now that they have a 5,000 page project to produce.

I think Quark is a great example for not firing all your American software engineers and replacing them with low paid Indian programmers. Unfortunatly, since Quark is private, we can't see exactly how much their bottom line has suffered from this dumb move.

Comment

elmimmo

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2002
Spain
What is that article saying about OpenType? I cannot understand it, not even with altavista or google's translation.

Comment

Foocha

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2001
London
As someone who has used QuarkXpress for may years, and someone who is a big fan of OS X, I have to say these screen shots bring joy to my heart.

The fact that it looks just like previous versions of Quark is great - that's the point!

I don't like the things that Quark has said about the Mac platform as an excuse for their delays in getting an OS X product out the door. At least they're finally getting round to supporting us.

It's great that so many people rate InDesign - it's about time Quark got a run for it's money and competition is a good thing.

Finally, I wouldn't underestimate the amount of work involved in putting this app together - Quark has a very old code base, and probably relied heavily on legacy APIs that were just no longer available in Carbon - they would have had to re-write a huge amount of the app just to get an OS X equvalent of 5.

Now that Quark finally (almost) has an OS X app to talk about, I think we'll hear them warming up to the Mac plaftform again (if they can just get their turbulent CEO to keep his mouth shut ;))

Comment

pretentious

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2002
"Reality"
Ok it’s been a long time since I have used the atrocity known as Quark, but do I see tabs at the bottom?
Since when has Quark been an MDI?

Comment

Wash!!

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2002
here, there, who knows
Quark sucks end of story

I used Quark for years and I hated its gui and the way it prints it just plain sucks.

I have gigs of files that were made in Quark and I will moved then to ID as they come the extra 10 minutes it takes to clean up some of the transelation problems but it's worth it.

Long live ID :D

Comment

symmetrical

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2003
This is great news

I think its awesome that Quark finally have a version of Express that will run on Rhapsody. I wonder if they will be able to port it to run on OSX by the time OSXI comes out.

Comment

Rustus Maximus

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2003
Originally posted by elmimmo
What is that article saying about OpenType? I cannot understand it, not even with altavista or google's translation.

elmimmo, I think the article is saying that this "new and improved" version of Quirk isn't going to have the same level of control over OpenType fonts as InDesign has. Just one of the many things where InDesign is lightyears ahead of them.

There's a good example of what InDesign can do with OpenType on Adobe's website right now...

www.adobe.com/products/indesign/overview.html

Just look on the left hand side of the page and you'll see a couple of links to QuickTime movies about OpenType. Nice stuff, and this is just scratching the surface.

Originally posted by jayscheuerle
And this differs from the carbonized versions of Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign how?

And why do you think a properly carbonized app is any slower or worse than one written in cocoa?

And as I understand it (and I may be wrong ;) )...a Cocoa app is inherently faster than a Carbon app...since basically a Carbon app is just providing a translation for the OS9 code...making it a couple of ticks (sometimes more) slower than a native Cocoa app or the speed of that same app in OS9.

At least that's what I've gathered from Apple's discussion board, concerning the performance of Final Cut Pro 3 in particular. The app would run faster as a native Cocoa app. Which, by the way, is exactly what's coming from Adobe this fall...Photoshop 8 and InDesign 3 will both be native Cocoa apps.

Rustus Maximus

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.