Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
Simple question: What's the difference between QuarkXPress and QuarkXPress Passport?

stronghand

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2004
So Cal
The only difference between the two is the ability to work (menus and palettes and such) and design (type setting) in different languages. Not sure if this has changed with XPress 6 or not since its X native and any app takes on the Systems language for its menus and such. Might still need it to design in different languages though. Hope this helps.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
Thanks, that does make sense. Passport = mulitiple langauses. I was looking at this online student discount store's description of the two ( Quark XPress Passport and Quark XPress) but couldn't find any big differences, aside from some added features at the bottom of the normal version. I have normal Quark for PC (and it works fine :)), so I'll just assume the differences are that Passport allows for multiple languases (which would explain why it costs more there).

And oh yeah, what is the actual name of the app? Quark? Quark X Press? XPress? Quark in the company right? (I always wondered this).

Thanks! :)

stronghand

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2004
So Cal
tech4all said:
And oh yeah, what is the actual name of the app? Quark? Quark X Press? XPress? Quark in the company right? (I always wondered this).

Quark IS the company name. They have always marketed the app as QuarkXPress (one word with 3 capitals). For the longest time, that's all they made so the entire name was used to talk about it. Everybody I have known for the past 10 years that uses it, designers, prepress guys, etc, including myself, just call it Quark. I guess if you look at it like most apps, then its name would be XPress...Glad the info helped...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.