Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GeeYouEye

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 9, 2001
State of Denial
I have an iBook 500MHz, with the old 8MB ATi Rage graphics card, theoretically incompatible with Quartz Extreme. I was digging through System/Library to try and find out how Quartz Extreme works. I came across a Configurations.plist file with some impossibly long path... /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CoreGraphics.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Configuration.plist with some interesting info... It looks like the VRAM controls for QE? If I'm reading it right, then changing the <key>GLCompositorMinimumVRAM</key> and <integer>16</integer> lines to have the same first line, but make the integer 8, should enable QE on my iBook! Does anyone know if I'm right or just deluding myself? If no one knows, I'll try it out, and report back, but I'd rather not risk my system if I know it won't work. Thanks!

GeeYouEye

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 9, 2001
State of Denial
Originally posted by Over Achiever
It might work...but I don't think your video card can handle the load. Sure, you can trick it to utilize QE, but it may not work right. Change at your own risk :)

Hmm... OTOH, Apple originally said it would take 32 MB of VRAM to use QE. Then they changed it. But you do have a valid point, and that's why I asked the question.

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???
I think you're going to have to try it out...but I'd be very interested to hear the results!

Originally posted by GeeYouEye

Hmm... OTOH, Apple originally said it would take 32 MB of VRAM to use QE. Then they changed it. But you do have a valid point, and that's why I asked the question.

Jimong5

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
QE also requires a RADEON. the latest G3 iMacs cant use QE even though having 16MB VRAM due to their RAGE chip.

Pismo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2002
NH
I tried it...

I have a G3 PowerBook (Firewire). I edited the file that you mentioned and rebooted. Everything seems to be fine but I don't know how to check if QE is enabled or not. Does anyone know how I can check?

GeeYouEye

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 9, 2001
State of Denial
Re: I tried it...

Originally posted by Pismo
I have a G3 PowerBook (Firewire). I edited the file that you mentioned and rebooted. Everything seems to be fine but I don't know how to check if QE is enabled or not. Does anyone know how I can check?

There's a utility out there somewhere called "QECheck" or something like that. I'd check versiontracker.com.

Well, now that I know it won't destroy the computer, I'll try it, and see how well it works.

Pismo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2002
NH
Doesn't work

I just ran the utility and it said that "This display is not accelerated". Sigh:( Oh well. At least I'll get to try out my brother in law's GHz TiBook when it arrives:D

Jimong5

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
an Appless way to see if its on is to turn on motion desktop option. a QE comp will fade the pictures, while a nonaccelerated one will abruptly change in a jerky motion.

sprocklingcat

macrumors member
May 4, 2002
KS
easiest QE indicator

is the drop shadow underneath the mouse.

also if the desktop image is set to switch it will fade vs. just switching with just quartz

GeeYouEye

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 9, 2001
State of Denial
Apple System Profiler Question

Okay then, since that didn't work, can someone who does have a QE accelerated comp post any and all info from the ASP regarding displays? I've not given up hope yet. :) Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.