Queensland downgrades Civil Partnerships, bans surrogacy for same-sex couples

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Queso, Jun 22, 2012.

1. Queso macrumors G4

Truly astounding this one. I know Queensland is sort of infamous for having a few backwards attitudes, but their current LNP-led (the right-wing Liberal Party) state government last night rolled back LGBT equality legislation and basically banned Civil Partnerships to appease Christian lobby groups. Instead same-sex couples in the state, which includes such large urban areas as Brisbane as well as the tourist hotspots of Cairns and Surfer's Paradise, will only be allowed to register their partners in the same way an owner registers a car. No ceremony will be allowed, or any other aspect which might cause offence to the religious by "mimicking marriage". The legislation was actually fast-tracked by the state government bypassing committee stages bills normally have to pass through.

Under the same amendments the state is also preventing unmarried or same-sex couples from entering surrogacy arrangements. Previous legislation allowed anyone in the state to enter such an arrangement with a donor providing payment was not involved. Now it's just for married man/woman couples.

If ever an example was needed as to why Civil Partnerships are simply NOT GOOD ENOUGH!! this is it.

Hang your head in SHAME Australia!!! This makes you look like Uganda rather than a Western style democracy.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/darling-will-you-register-me-20120620-20o78.html

2. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Has the time come to start torching churches?

Can we allow religious zealots self-determination, any more than we can allow Gays.

No I say, NO!!!

3. Queso thread starter macrumors G4

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

And I thought things were bad here. Wow- this is crazy.

5. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Anyone else find it ironic that this is in Queensland?

6. RKO macrumors 6502

RKO

I couldn't agree more with you. Politics and religion are never a good mix. The Australian Federal Labor Government is on it's way out next year and there will be more of this to come soon. Grass is always greener on the other side of the fence until the lawn grubs arrive.

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

What a shame. Hold on, it'll eventually go back the other way.

8. Happybunny macrumors 68000

This is bad news for Human Rights

There seems to be wave of this going around the English speaking world.
    I hope that we main land Europe stay vigilate, and stamp out any Fundamentalist Religious groups; before they take root in politics here.

9. RKO macrumors 6502

RKO

I thought the Brethren Churches et al originated from Europe to begin with. I could be wrong though.

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

It's their last gasp before they die out. Don;t worry, we'll beat them eventually.

11. Happybunny macrumors 68000

They probably did, but political power eludes them because we have PR voting system.

12. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

So why are these groups allowed to call themselves Christian when they sure don't act like it.

When I die I'm pretty sure God would be VERY disappointed in me if I ever tried to oppress the rights of others based on something they can't choose.

Its a sad day for LGBT people.

13. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

They wrap themselves in a virtual Shroud of Turin, and proceed to break their god's commandments.

I don't think that would be a problem, if I remember the bible.

God will be the soul ;) judge of a person's life. Not those here on Earth.

Yes.*

*Your results may vary, depending if you live under a repressive puppet government, driven by failed Christians.

14. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Utter rubbish. Nothing in the UN Convention on the rights of the child has anything remotely to suggest single-sex parents are in a child's best interest, nor are 'parents' defined as a same-sex couple.

This might even be in breach of Article 30.

Article 30

Children and young people from minority communities must not be stopped from enjoying their own culture, religion and language.

http://www.crae.org.uk/rights/uncrc.html

I'd argue that the State downgrading same-sex couples leads to less social approval of ss couples and increases the risk for a child with a mm or ff parenting to being bullied.

(Interesting how the US and Somalia still haven't ratified this yet..)

15. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Only an idiot would say otherwise.

Well, they both possess a pirate culture.

ARG!!!!!!

16. Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

And this, while Julia Gillard (Australian Prime Minister) is swanning around comparing hairstyles with Clinton in Rio De Janeiro. Gillard comes from Wales originally though. Her stance to Gay Marriage is 'totally opposed' So the rot starts from the top. I have the utmost sympathy to our Australian cousins. And yeah, I've kissed a few.

KGB:)

17. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Where??

Oz??

:p

18. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

Pfft, New South Wales if filled mostly with Kiwis, the aussies should be safe there for a little while. :p

19. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Interesting, I didn't know she was a nut. Just presumed Gillard was pro-rights being a woman in a modern era :confused:

Looked it up to be sure though..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1Vbz4Tg3PM

Disappointing

20. Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

Not in your Wizard of Oz's fantasy land, but in Australia, yes.

Yeah and many memorable days and nights were spent when I lived in Sydney. Came close to forming a permanent relationship over there, but family issues drew me home.

Yeah, she's a raving rabid redhead. They'd be better off with Kevin Rudd back at the helm. At least he spoke chinese.

KGB:cool:

21. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

[​IMG]

Never mind.

[​IMG]

:rolleyes:

22. quasinormal macrumors 6502a

I believe Australia was a pioneer in the regressive political discourse of wedge politics that has swept western democracies. It originator, conservative Prime Minister John Howard, demonised scapegoats like refugees, anyone different, the unemployed and others undeserving of the public purse to attract traditional working class voters from Labor's voting base. It is about being a very small target by not announcing policies and constantly attacking the opposite party's attempts at reform. He essentially borrowed many of the policies of a far right politician, Pauline Hanson, who had been expelled from the Liberal (conservative) party for her racist and extreme views.

Julia Gillard is working within these limitations. I find that completely unacceptable personally. I have just about given up on the antics of these clowns who aspire to power.

23. Puevlo macrumors 6502a

24. Queso thread starter macrumors G4

I'm really looking forward to the day when a secular government stands up and bans Christians from getting married in a territory for 12 months, just to make the point about what they do to others. I imagine the weeping and complaints of persecution would be rather loud, seeing as Christians love to play the martyr.

One thing's for certain, if Yeshua Ben Yosef had any idea of the evils his sermons would lead to he would have stayed in Nazareth making chairs.

25. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

"Blessed are the chairmakers" indeed.