Question .. 4s vs. iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JeepGirl06, Oct 31, 2012.

1. JeepGirl06 macrumors member

JeepGirl06

Hi all,

Just looking for some opinions here...I currently have a Droid Razr MAXX that I will be upgrading to an iphone..my question is this...should I get the 4S or the 5? I will be using a friends upgrade, so mine will still be available to me next August. Anyway, my droid is 4G LTE and I know the 5 is too, which is why I would want it, but with so many bugs with iOS 6, that's my hesitation. Should I just go with the 4S and sacrifice speed for stability in the OS..or go with the 5 & hope an updated comes out sooner rather than later?

Any help you can give will be greatly appreciated!

Will be my first iPhone so sorry if I seem dumb lol

2. cnguyen0320 macrumors regular

iOS 6 isn't too bad. The bugs won't hurt that much. Honestly, get the latest tech instead of buying last years tech for just $100 savings

3. Pharmscott macrumors 6502a

Pharmscott

I'm running iOs 6 on my 4S and it's fine. The maps "crisis" is overblown by a mile. Get the newest tech and be happy: iPhone 5. But, get a case. That baby is a scratch magnet!

4. TrimmTrabb macrumors member

All new iPhones ship with iOS 6, so you can't avoid it with the 4S anyway.

That said, whatever bugs you've heard about have been greatly exaggerated. Don't even worry about that for a second. If you do run into any issues, there are plenty of workarounds.

5. scyap macrumors member

I think the iOS6 bugs and maps thing was overblown and exaggerated. Having used my iPhone5 daily since September, I haven't seen any bugs yet and Appple maps is fine for me.

Don't bother on the 4S

6. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I have had every iPhone since day one. The 4S is the very best in my personal experience.

That said, it is a matter of personal preference, like any other purchase. My iPhone 5 is sitting on the shelf after I used it for a few weeks. I missed too many of the advantages of the 4S, like it's superior build quality, compared to the easily scratched (and I'm very careful) iPhone 5.

Google maps is also very important to me, since Apple maps is a work and progress. Even though I live in a very large metropolitan area of CA, were you'd think the maps would be complete, they are not. Apple maps should be fine in the next year or two, but mapping is a big project and Apple really has work to do.

The "larger" 4.0" display is only taller not wider, so it's of no use to me. I like to use the landscape mode for typing, emails, texting etc. The problem is the window is very narrow with the keyboard taking up more than 50% of the vertical work area.

Conversely, my Galaxy S3 has a lot more room to work since it's properly proportioned being larger in width and depth.

The best news is pricing is very good on a new 4S, a fantastic iPhone that will serve you very well. Also the 5, being a first year model, will be improved next year. That's how Apple does it. I will be interested to see if that one includes a modern size display.

7. JeepGirl06 thread starter macrumors member

JeepGirl06

Thanks for the replies everyone! Really appreciate it!

ixodes, my only concern, again, is that I have a 4G droid now & if I get the 4S, it's gonna be slower obviously...and I do use the google map navigation on my droid quite a bit...does the 4s have google maps as well for navigation? Or would I have to deal w/the apple map that everyone has probs with?

8. NoCleverSNForMe macrumors regular

If you are running iOS 5, then it will have Google Maps with no turn-by-turn navigation. (This is easily fixed with countless apps like Waze available to download in the App Store)

If you are running iOS 6, then it will have Apple Maps. You'll get turn-by-turn built into the OS.

I do agree that the Apple Maps controversy is blown out of proportion. I am a real estate agent who shows homes in many different areas; Apple Maps has not failed me once since the release iOS 6. (I show around 20-50 homes a week, so that's 20-50 addresses inputted into my phone every week. I am showing 14 tomorrow - this is a VERY important feature to me) The thing that sucks is that Apple Maps doesn't have the vast database of business listings, but again - easily fixed by just typing that into Google or saving Google Maps to your desktop. Once you get the address of the business you're looking up, just copy/paste or input it into Apple Maps, and the turn-by-turn will take you there.

Like the poster above, I also ditched the iPhone 5 (despite LTE) and went back to an iPhone 4S for its superior build quality and versatility. I sold mine on Gazelle before I bought a 5, so I had to go back and buy a 64GB (you can get them for MUCH LESS on eBay). I got my upgrade back after returning my 5, and bought a 64GB out of contract...so I'm saving my upgrade for something else.

Good luck to you! Thanks for posting.

9. yourtoys7 macrumors 6502a

Just upgraded from 4S to 5 and :D the phone is really fast, very notesable in reg. usage, speeds are insane! feels much better in your hand. After using 5, each time I pick my wife 4S, feels like a brick or big piece of glass :rolleyes:

10. ercsliberty macrumors 6502

11. RichardC300 macrumors 65816

RichardC300

What's really blown out of proportions is all this scratching talk. This should not persuade you from an iPhone 5. If you like going caseless, all you need is a back screen protector, and the iPhone 5 will be just as scratch-resistant as the 4S.

The 5 is noticeably faster, and the weight and thinness of the 5 is is a HUGE improvement over the 4S. The bigger screen will eventually make you think the 4S is too small and the 5 is the right size.

Go for the 5!

12. Radiating macrumors 65816

You have some silly misconceptions from reading too much on the internet. The iPhone 5 there is a 99% chance you will never, ever experience any issues at all and it is a 100% better device, literally (what with being twice as fast).

13. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

I seem to be the only one who hasn't had an issue with iOS 6. *knock on wood*

14. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

if you buy a 4S now itll will ship with 6,0 anyways, so its not really about the OS. id just get the 5

15. Dominicanyor macrumors 6502a

Dominicanyor

I love my 4s I think is still a great phone regardless if its a year old. With the upgrade I had small issues nothing Major at all. If you want to save some money I will recommend the 4s.

16. ChickenMoMo macrumors newbie

I have both the 4S and the 5. Agree with the others that the map issue is overblown (I live in a major US city). However, lack of public transit directions is kind of annoying. There are ways around it but being integrated into the default maps app would've been nice. But that's probably the only downside of iOS 6 that I notice on a regular basis.

For everything else, the 5 is definitely a way better phone. I have the white version since day 1 and I don't have a single scratch on mine (I'm very careful but I don't use a case either).

17. Megalobyte macrumors 6502a

There's a very good chance you'll experience about 20-30% better battery life on the 5 over the 4s. The 4s battery was never great by most accounts, while most people find the 5 much better in that regard. That alone is worth getting the 5.

For example, my 4s always needed to be charged at least a little to get through a full day's use, I'd max out at 5-5.5 hours use. My 5 on average gets about 7.5-8.5, over 10 if I listen to music. So, to me, the beauty of the 5 is, you get a faster phone, LTE, bigger screen in a lighter, thinner form, and somehow, noticeably better battery life.

18. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

slightly bigger battery+new more efficient cellular chip is how.

19. takeshi74, Nov 1, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2012

takeshi74 macrumors 601

I haven't really seen any info from you that really helps to narrow it down to one or the other. Try the 5 and see how it suits you. You can always return while the return window is open if it doesn't work out for you. First hand experience is your best bet for answering your question.

As stated above, buying a 4S won't get you IOS 5 unless you're buying a used device that hasn't been upgraded.

How are you determining that IOS has "so many bugs"? Be careful assuming that you can perform meaningful statistical analysis based solely on forum postings. My wife, for example, is using IOS 6 and has no problems with it.

Again, be careful making such assumptions. Everyone is not having problems. Some are. Some are not. If you're not happy with Maps there are alternatives. I've always used TomTom so the fuss over Maps is really irrelevant to me.

Being new to the iPhone isn't your problem. You'd have the same problems shopping for Android devices, Windows phones or even Blackerries if you used the same approach.

20. itsaustinh macrumors member

yeah, if you buy the iPhone 4S now it will come preloaded with iOS 6. Definitely get the 5. The speeds are amazing and that extra screen room feels great. Whevener you pick up a 4/4S from then on, it will have a "cute" feeling because of how small it is lol. and its so much lighter! The scratch problem is blown out of proportion, as others have said. I have dropped my 5 multiple times already (in a small case) and it doesn't have a mark. Drop tests have shown that the aluminum back is much stronger than the previous glass back. If you are worried about scratches or cracks invest in a case.

21. big samm macrumors 65816

If lte is what you need well get the 5 if not get the 4 simple as that

22. John T macrumors 68020

John T

My faithful old 3GS is due for retirement :( So, like the OP is it to be the 4S or 5?

I primarily use my iPhone as a 'phone and to send/receive texts. No longer being a kid, phrases like "latest technology", "bigger screen" and "lightening fast" don't really impress me.

My kids all have 4S's and my major criticism with these, (compared with the 3G) are their angular edges.

As far as the iPhone 5 is concerned, it is certainly beautifully designed and the chamfered edges certainly nullify my criticism of the 4S's sharp ones. I also take the vast majority of MacRumors' moans and whinges with a large pinch of proverbial salt when reading about to scratching, bending etc, etc. However, I must admit the 5's reported poor wifi performance is something that does concern me.

So, at the moment, it looks like the 4S is winning the race. Unless, of course . . . . . .

23. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

The 4S is the 1st iPhone I really like. I sold the 1st gen, 3GS, and iPhone 4 within about 1-2 months of ownership of each one. Had the 4S since launch and love it. With that said, I really like the 5. As soon as you play with the 5 for a few minutes, picking up the 4S feels like a tractor trailer. As far as features and usability go I find them very similar. If it wasn't for the new connector I would have upgraded already. I have cables in a few rooms at home, at the office, and in the car. I'm not willing to let go of that convenience for a taller screen right now.

24. Beeplance macrumors 65816

Beeplance

Guys, kindly refer to this thread here, I think a lot of substantial supporting argument are posted: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1466476&highlight=iphone+5+vs+4s

For me, I'm still using a 3GS, no intention of upgrading as of now. It's still works perfectly, so why replace a decently working phone? But if I had the choice like you guys, I would go for the 4S & make no mistake about it. Lack of LTE isn't much of a concern to me; data speeds for HSPA+ on the 4S is more than enough for daily phone usage like web browsing or downloading apps. Speed-wise, the marginal difference between the 5 and the 4S is in milliseconds, not a drastic improvement. All apps can fit into the 4S 3.5" screen, but not all apps are updated for the iPhone 5 4" screen, your choice here. As for weight, I don't give a damn about that.