Question about 4s iCloud backup

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by texashorns0906, Oct 19, 2011.

1. texashorns0906 macrumors newbie

I have a 64gb 4s and am trying to backup my iphone over icloud. However my backup size seems to be 6.3gb even with all my app data turned off. So it is too large to back up. anyone know how i can trim these numbers to get below 5 gb?

2. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

3. texashorns0906 thread starter macrumors newbie

i tried that and it is still too large. anyone else having this problem?

4. edk99 macrumors 6502a

What do you mean by this? Are you talking about under settings-->iCloud - Documents & Data you have turned off? That has nothing to do with your backup size but having that on will take up space.

If your backup size is 6.3gb then you need to drill into the Storage & Backup option under Settings-->iCloud-->Storage & Backup (bottom of screen) --> Manage Storage --> iPhone Then look under Backup Options and see what is listed first. Pretty sure it will be your Camera Roll and it is taking up many gb's. Just turn that off.

If you turning that off you will now have to manually backup your camera roll to your PC.

----------

Ok then under Manage Storage what is taking up so much room? You should easily be able to see what Apps are using the most space.

5. texashorns0906 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I turned off everything under backup options. When everything is turned off then it is still at 6.3 GB. when everything is turned on it's about at 6.6 GB. I can't figure out why it is so large of a file if all that app data is turned off. What else is being stored there?

6. texashorns0906 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

No one?

7. texashorns0906 thread starter macrumors newbie

8. smagdy macrumors regular

9. texashorns0906 thread starter macrumors newbie

tried that. still the same 6.7 with all apps checked. 6.3 with all apps unchecked. what the heck? what else do i need to do?

10. mattydee87 macrumors regular

How much does mail use? I know that was the one using the most of mine

11. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

12. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

It is the camera roll. Clear that out, and clear out the iCloud backup. That should do it.

13. neocerebrum macrumors newbie

Don't confuse SYNCING with BACKUP. The on/off for individual items is for syncing. At the bottom, if you select "Backup and Storage," there's a separate on/off for backup. You can also select "Back Up Now". With syncing, my phone only takes a few minutes, but to create a full backup, it takes over an hour. There's a clear difference between syncing and backup. On that second screen, it actually says under the iCloud Backup on/off: "Automatically back up your camera roll, accounts, documents, and settings when this iPhone is plugged in, locked, and connected to WiFi." The Apple commercial shows someone going from iPhone to iPad and the data updates immediately - that is SYNCING. The BACKUP only occurs when plugged in and homescreen locked.

Syncing uses much fewer GB than a fully backup. When I was only syncing my phone, my iCloud only used 3.7GB, but when I created a backup, it required 9.6GB, which is why I upgraded to 15GB iCloud for $20/year.

14. texashorns0906 thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope it's not. It's 120mb and turned off gives me 6.5. This sucks. Got 5gb of storage that I can't use.

15. abood89 macrumors newbie

abood89

I have exactly the same problem! basically my app data only adds up to something like 100MB and yet I'm apparently using 2.2GB. I don't know where this extra stuff is coming from or how to disable it. any luck?

It might be worth comparing a list of apps that we have installed to find out which could be at fault. dm me if you wanna do that.

16. Jman13 macrumors 68000

So you're saying that if you go into iCloud->Storage and Backup->Manage Storage->Your iPhone (whatever you've named yours), that you've disabled all backup options? Mine shows 2.0GB for the 'phone' proper, plus an additional 2.8 GB for app data. 1.8 GB for the camera roll, 613MB for Hipstamatic (which is all the photos stored there), etc, etc. In total I have over 220 apps on my phone, most of which have data that's being backed up.

Anyway, my backup is 4.8GB now, but has been as large as 6.5GB. I just purchased the extra 10GB so I didn't have to worry about it. Having a constant backup is worth that small price to me. But it seems quite odd if you've really disabled the individual app backup in the right spot for you to be over 6GB.

17. abood89 macrumors newbie

abood89

I have a backup size of 2.2GB but the apps only account for ~100MB
    You mentioned having 2.0GB for the 'phone' proper. Surely that's a bit big considering the only things synced to iCloud are phone settings/homescreen layout and some text messages, no? I mean, if it were the case most people would struggle to fit 2 devices on their 5GB allocation. I've also seen people post that they have backup sizes <1GB on their iPhones...which is more in line with what I expect for my phone.

Basically, I still can't account for about 2-2.1GB of backup data on my iPhone. My iPad only takes up ~150MB and it's set up in roughly the same way (give or take a few apps).

18. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

Well, from looking at my backup, which is 1.5 GB, one of the things that is backed up in addition to the apps is the Camera Roll, which could explain the additional data you're referring to.

19. abood89 macrumors newbie

abood89

Sorry I should've been clearer, by 'apps' I was just referring to everything that had an 'on/off' backup toggle (which includes my 50MB camera roll).

20. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

Gotcha. So, just to be clear, is the 2.2 GB the actual backup size like you mentioned or the amount of iCloud storage you're using? I ask because, looking at my "stats", it doesn't appear that iCloud mail is accounted for in the backup itself however it does count towards your iCloud storage.

21. abood89 macrumors newbie

abood89

it's both. my mailbox is pretty much empty.

22. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

Hmm...interesting. Guess I'm stumped. Without looking at your phone, I'm at a loss for where all that storage is coming from.