Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pudcraft

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 23, 2013
Houston
Hi all,

I need some help - will try to be clear and brief!

I started with a Galaxy S4 (no contract) with AT&T. On pre-order 5s day, I ordered the $199 upgrade 16GB version - my account has not reflected that I have a new contract - as it's not activated.

Yesterday, I found a 64GB VZW 5s at the store. I bought it, had AT&T kiosk change my galaxy s4 SIM to a SIM that fits the 5s. We plugged it into the 64GB 5s and all works great - still no new contract.

I am not sure I need this much space on a phone. When my 16GB arrives today, can I insert my 64GB SIM into the 16GB phone (BEFORE powering on for the first time)? Will this cause my contract to start? I am not sure what triggers a difference between contract upgrade or no upgrade.

Everything is through APPLE - only part where AT&T was involved was at a 3rd party kiosk when swapping my phone # to a sim that fits.

Thank you!!!! help greatly appreciated.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Activating the phone will trigger the contract upgrade. It might not be instantaneous, but when you plug your sim in AT&T will realize you are using the new phone and enter you into the new contract.

pudcraft

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 23, 2013
Houston
Activating the phone will trigger the contract upgrade. It might not be instantaneous, but when you plug your sim in AT&T will realize you are using the new phone and enter you into the new contract.

I see - so I will need to return the 2 phones and re-buy the one I want at full price - then it will not trigger the contract. I guess I just don't really know what causes the contract to kick in as both of the phones are new phones.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I see - so I will need to return the 2 phones and re-buy the one I want at full price - then it will not trigger the contract. I guess I just don't really know what causes the contract to kick in as both of the phones are new phones.

The IMEI of the phone is unique. You pop the sim in, it "talks" to AT&T's network and they see you have activated the phone which you bought on contract. The phone you are currently using has a different IMEI, thus has not refreshed your contract (and shouldn't have since you paid full price).

pudcraft

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 23, 2013
Houston
The IMEI of the phone is unique. You pop the sim in, it "talks" to AT&T's network and they see you have activated the phone which you bought on contract. The phone you are currently using has a different IMEI, thus has not refreshed your contract (and shouldn't have since you paid full price).

Thanks for clarifying! I'm in the great debate of should I be in a contract or no contract. $850 is a pretty penny for a phone vs. $400. I don't even utilize the unlock features with the exception of international travel (once a year now). I should try a pay as you go or something to see if the grass is greener or not.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Thanks for clarifying! I'm in the great debate of should I be in a contract or no contract. $850 is a pretty penny for a phone vs. $400. I don't even utilize the unlock features with the exception of international travel (once a year now). I should try a pay as you go or something to see if the grass is greener or not.

You can get the phone unlocked for $2 (search swiftunlocks). I did it. Their $2 option takes up to 12 hours. Then there is a faster one for $3 and an instan (under an hour) one for $5. I was in no hurry at all so I paid the $2 and got it unlocked in maybe six hours (got the email while I was asleep).

The way I see it, if you are sticking with AT&T, there is no reason NOT to be in contract. You don't get a reduced rate while you are out of contract. And if you want to cancel your contract, the early termination ends up having you break even (actually a littler cheaper), as if you had paid full retail in the first place.

pudcraft

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 23, 2013
Houston
You can get the phone unlocked for $2 (search swiftunlocks). I did it. Their $2 option takes up to 12 hours. Then there is a faster one for $3 and an instan (under an hour) one for $5. I was in no hurry at all so I paid the $2 and got it unlocked in maybe six hours (got the email while I was asleep).

The way I see it, if you are sticking with AT&T, there is no reason NOT to be in contract. You don't get a reduced rate while you are out of contract. And if you want to cancel your contract, the early termination ends up having you break even (actually a littler cheaper), as if you had paid full retail in the first place.

You have a good point! I was actually just researching this as well. I'm basically in complete agreement with you. I'm going to look into AIO Wireless or AT&T Go-Phone. Both are about $30 cheaper than what i'm paying currently. AT&T usually runs me between $90-$110/mo. With the other 2, I get $60 or $55.

AIO just has a speed block of 8mb downspeed. I read that Go-Phone is basically what I should have been on, not being on a contract. I currently pay for a 2GB data plan and rarely go over.

Too many options...

Charadis

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010

I am confused here...I was under the impression that the contract renewal occurs at the time of the first purchase. Would one not be able to purchase multiple phones at upgrade pricing while waiting to receive the first one through shipping, before activation? :confused:

horsebattery

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2013
I am confused here...I was under the impression that the contract renewal occurs at the time of the first purchase. Would one not be able to purchase multiple phones at upgrade pricing while waiting to receive the first one through shipping, before activation? :confused:

I don't know about the contract specifically, but your upgrade eligibility certainly does become invalid after placing an order. I believe the way that works though, would be that your contract becomes extended.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA

The upgrade gets eaten immediately. The contract renewal doesn't show up until activation. Presumably if you just waited, I don't know, a few weeks/months, it would just set itself to renew anyway.

horsebattery

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2013
The upgrade gets eaten immediately. The contract renewal doesn't show up until activation. Presumably if you just waited, I don't know, a few weeks/months, it would just set itself to renew anyway.

With ATT, there is a policy where they only allow 2 "quick" Upgrade Eligibility reverts per 12 months. A quick revert would reset your eligibility within a few minutes after canceling an upgrade.

I unfortunately learned this the heard way after canceling 3 upgrades. The third upgrade (I believe) triggered a contract upgrade that could only be reverted after a few days time. I suppose the contract would be extended once your 2 reverts have been used up.

pudcraft

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 23, 2013
Houston

interesting....when I ordered the phone off Apple.com and chose upgrade - my AT&T still shows me off contract and able to upgrade. I just checked the upgrade eligibility.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
With ATT, there is a policy where they only allow 2 "quick" Upgrade Eligibility reverts per 12 months. A quick revert would reset your eligibility within a few minutes after canceling an upgrade.

I unfortunately learned this the heard way after canceling 3 upgrades. The third upgrade (I believe) triggered a contract upgrade that could only be reverted after a few days time. I suppose the contract would be extended once your 2 reverts have been used up.

I am not sure how this applies to my previous statement, but thanks for the info. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.