Question about a new monitor I'd like to buy...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sal Collaziano, Jun 26, 2010.

1. Sal Collaziano macrumors regular

I started off with a Dell 20" monitor when I purchased my MBP almost three years ago. I recently bought at 37" Vizio thinking it would be a big improvement - but the highest resolution I can use is 1600x900 - not so great compared to the maximum 1920x1080 I could use with the MBP and Dell monitor...

I found a great deal on a 27" Dell and it goes as high as 1920x1080 - which is great. BUT - I'm buying a new MBP in November - which has a highest resolution of 1920x1200...

As some of you probably know and/or have experienced, if I use the highest setting with this Vizio, I lose part of the screen (top, bottom and sides). I'm guessing this would also happen with the 27" Dell, right? Or is there something in place that'll adapt and stretch the screen slightly enough that it would be difficult to notice?

1920x1200 and 1920x1080 doesn't seem like a whole lot of difference... Let me know what you think.

Thank you!

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

If you use the external monitor as extension, the resolution of that monitor will be fully used, no black bars or stretching anywhere.

If you mirror the MBP's display to the external monitor, the MBP's resolution will be scaled down to 1920 x 1080, if that external monitor has a maximum resolution of 1920 x 1080.

Btw, a 27" monitor with that low resolution might be quite blurry, as normally 21" to 24" displays have that resolution.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

What is the model of the Vizio? I'm sure it can do more (it's likely a TV so 1920x1080). There is 27" Dell that has resolution of 2560x1440 so if you have ~1000$ to spend, get that. The size of the display has nothing to do with the actual amount it can display, 17" with 1920x1200 can display more than 70" with 1920x1080...

4. myke323 macrumors regular

Excuse the interjection, but question on that. In that scenario, what would the quality be like? I mean in general, if the external monitor has a different resolution than the MBP's display's native resolution, can it be of equal visual quality?

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

If you use MIRROR DISPLAYS, than whatever monitor has the lowest resolution is the one used in this scenario.

For instance, if you have a 13" MB with 1280 x 800 and an external display with 1920 x 1200, the external display only uses a resolution of 1920 x 1200.
    Thus the external monitor uses half the resolution it is capable of but uses all pixels it has to display that, thus the quality is abysmal.

The other way around it's the same, but a difference between 1080 and 1200 is hardly recognizable.

6. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

The problem you are having with the visio is called overscan. There are numerous ways to deal with it, so I would suggest reading upon it. Then if you want a tv get a tv; and if you want a computer monitor get a computer monitor.

7. Sal Collaziano thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you.. I think I'll just buy the Apple 30" monitor...