Question about an Apple Store Visit

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Piazza331, Apr 23, 2013.

1. Piazza331 macrumors newbie

My Iphone 5 power button is starting to go out. Sad because I've kept it in great shape. I was wondering if anyone knows if a trip to the Apple Store will have them fix it or will they replace the phone. I really don't want to replace it and get a new one on 6.1.3 (because of no jailbreak).

Any help will be appreciated.

2. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

It depends on the Apple Store.

I just took my iPhone 5 in for a dodgy home button. I was actually hoping for the opposite: a replacement iPhone 5, in the hopes that the replacement I would get was set up for T-Mobile AWS HSPA bands (I have an IMEI-unlocked AT&T model). Unfortuantely for me, no dice: they were able to replace the home button assembly in-store.

At least my home button is working a lot better now. but I would imagine a store with the right compoments would replace your power button without replacing the whole phone.

3. bozzykid macrumors 68020

Standard procedure will be for them to replace it. But if they can fix it, they may do that instead.

4. TyPod macrumors 68000

TyPod

I'll go along with this. I had a home button problem with my iPhone 4 and I got a brand new phone. I'm sure the same still applies to the iPhone 5.

5. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Our local Apple Store had been doing more in-store repairs of late. I suspect if they can repair, they will. You could always request your preference for repair rather than replacement.

6. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Book a busy time of day and 9/10 it'll be a swap out. Unless the store has replaced a high volume you should get an older o/s

7. Piazza331 thread starter macrumors newbie

8. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Can one save the current OS on PC, then restore this over the new phone?

9. bigcstyle4 macrumors 6502

I had mine replaced for the same problem. They told me that they will repair the home button but replace for the sleep/wake button.

10. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

there are tons of these threads now, its starting to get old. please search first as you wouldve had your answer already with no need to post a new thread.

set up an appointment and bring the phone in. they will replace it under warranty. i had mine replaced in under 15 minutes.

11. PeterKG macrumors 6502

I just took mine in because the home button was failing. The genius took it to the back and came out later having repaired it. So they can fix them in store.

12. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Home button is a lot easier to swap out on the iPhone 5 than the 4, due to the way the phone is constructed.

With the 4, the back cover is the first part to come off so you had to disassemble the phone pretty much completely.

With the 5, the screen is the first part to come off. Oh hey, there's the home button! Swap, replace, done.

So I'm completely not surprised they replaced a 4 but repaired the 5.

13. WhiteIphone5 macrumors 65816

WhiteIphone5

Never thought of this...
    Thanks for the Tip!!