Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dudeslife

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2011
If I buy a macbook pro from craigslist that is still under the 1 year warranty, can I still get applecare? Or does that 60 days rule kill these type of purchases? Thanks for any info.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
If only AppleCare+ is available for a Mac model, then you would be limited to within the first 60 days after purchase.
What if you purchase older AppleCare (for a MBPro) from another retailer, can you still register that within the one year that has been the standard for years?
I don't know the answer to my question. But a quick call to AppleCare should get you the correct information :D
[doublepost=1498508168][/doublepost]
You can get AppleCare (extended warranty)
You can't get AppleCare+ (covers accidental damage)
Apple doesn't appear to sell AppleCare for any Mac now --- only AppleCare+ (yes, covers accidental damage incidents)

dudeslife

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2011
If only AppleCare+ is available for a Mac model, then you would be limited to within the first 60 days after purchase.
What if you purchase older AppleCare (for a MBPro) from another retailer, can you still register that within the one year that has been the standard for years?
I don't know the answer to my question. But a quick call to AppleCare should get you the correct information :D
[doublepost=1498508168][/doublepost]
Apple doesn't appear to sell AppleCare for any Mac now --- only AppleCare+ (yes, covers accidental damage incidents)

yeah the website is showing only AppleCare+... so no applecare for craigslist notebooks.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area

Interesting...
When you go to purchase it takes you to a page where you enter your serial number.
I wonder if serial numbers less than 60-days old are offered AppleCare+ and those over 60-days but less than a year are offered the old AppleCare.

comptr

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2007
Arizona
If I buy a macbook pro from craigslist that is still under the 1 year warranty, can I still get applecare? Or does that 60 days rule kill these type of purchases? Thanks for any info.

Call 1-800 My Apple & ask for Apple-Care Agreements Department, they will ask for your serial # of the laptop and then they can tell you if you can buy Apple Care + or Apple Care.

Reactions: jerryk

kejgd

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2017
Michigan
I've just tried to purchase the Applecare 2 year extension for my MacBook Air purchased in August of 2016. After several attempts on the website, my University bookstore, and through Apple support I've learned it is no longer available for any laptop purchased prior to introduction of the Applecare+ product. After being passed up the line at Apple Support I was told the only way to purchase it is by phone to Apple Agreement department. They would sell it at the price of Applecare+ but without the new features. The price they quote is $249, or $229 with an educational discount.

Meanwhile, the educational price listed on the Apple educational site and at my bookstore is $183 (as of June 5, 2017) but the support staff guesses that's an error. However, that's what is currently being charged for the full Applecare+ package at the bookstore. The hitch is it can't be activated for products purchased outside of the 60 day window.

Sorry for the long tale but if you have a Mac purchased prior to the introduction of Applecare+ and haven't already purchased the extension supposedly available up to one year after your purchase you may find yourself getting the same clumsy run around. The only option, mentioned above, may be finding the boxed version somewhere like Adorama. Apple has withdrawn those from sale at other outlets. My decision was to skip it. I don't want to find they won't activate it. I'm very disappointed with Apple for such a level of confusion so decided not to pay an upgraded price for less coverage.

Last edited:

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
... I'm very disappointed with Apple for such a level of confusion so decided not to pay an upgraded price for less coverage.
So, now I am curious why you say "less coverage" (?) Seems to me that you get the older AppleCare, with the same coverage as before. If you find the older package, it's the same (previous) price.
If you elect to add the older AppleCare coverage direct from Apple, the coverage does not change, only the price.
And --- why would you, when you can have the somewhat-improved AppleCare+, for the same price.
And, AppleCare still extends the coverage out to the full 3 years, as before, correct?

I think the main question that I would have is: Does Apple still allow you to register AppleCare (assuming that you purchase one of the old coverage packages) during the same first 12 months, or is that no longer allowed after 60 days past purchase?

kejgd

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2017
Michigan
So, now I am curious why you say "less coverage" (?) Seems to me that you get the older AppleCare, with the same coverage as before. If you find the older package, it's the same (previous) price.
If you elect to add the older AppleCare coverage direct from Apple, the coverage does not change, only the price.
And --- why would you, when you can have the somewhat-improved AppleCare+, for the same price.
And, AppleCare still extends the coverage out to the full 3 years, as before, correct?

I think the main question that I would have is: Does Apple still allow you to register AppleCare (assuming that you purchase one of the old coverage packages) during the same first 12 months, or is that no longer allowed after 60 days past purchase?

The old version of Applecare is no longer sold through my university bookstore or through Apple. Apple will sell a version that has the same coverage as the old Applecare but it's at a higher price ($229 with ed. discount) than the new Applecare+ version available at my bookstore ($183 with ed. discount). The $229 price is the same as what is charged online for Applecare+ but they say the additional coverage features would not be permitted. It's convoluted but I'd be paying for the full Applecare+ but getting less coverage than I'd paid for. And it's at a higher price than Applecare+ from the bookstore. The catch is they won't permit that to be activated for computers purchased more than 60 days ago.

Support didn't recognize the educational price of $183 as being valid and considered it an error. However, it's the price listed on the educational price lists when Applecare+ came into effect (6/5/17) and still there in the update just released. Seems quite odd and not worthy of Apple. See pricing at: https://www.apple.com/education/pricelists/

killawat

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2014
The old version of Applecare is no longer sold through my university bookstore or through Apple. Apple will sell a version that has the same coverage as the old Applecare but it's at a higher price ($229 with ed. discount) than the new Applecare+ version available at my bookstore ($183 with ed. discount). The $229 price is the same as what is charged online for Applecare+ but they say the additional coverage features would not be permitted. It's convoluted but I'd be paying for the full Applecare+ but getting less coverage than I'd paid for. And it's at a higher price than Applecare+ from the bookstore. The catch is they won't permit that to be activated for computers purchased more than 60 days ago.

https://www.adorama.com/acmd014lla.html

Apple needs to stop with the games. So frustrating.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.