Question about At&t iPhone unlocking

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gaanee, Aug 15, 2012.

1. gaanee macrumors 65816

I'm going to unlock 3GS on At&t and I received an email instructions from them, so basically it asks you to simply backup and restore. So I'm assuming that it will preserve all the contents (contacts, pictures, music, notes) just that it'll be unlocked. Do I need to copy anything else or is it just backup and restore...just wanted to double check as I've got important notes and pics there.

2. kintoro macrumors newbie

Nope, that should cover it all. I just unlocked mine and everything went without a hitch but while I was overseas on a different card some of my contacts were lost in the text messaging area. It still showed the number and messages but not the related contact even though they were still on my phone. When I came home and put the SIM card back in they all came back to normal with no issues. Worked great!

3. gaanee thread starter macrumors 65816

So after backup and restoring, do you recover any of the "other" space on iPhone?
    I heard that when you uninstall any app it still leaves behind .plist files or something and over the period of time it accumulates. So does backup and restore install a fresh copy of recent iOS or just restores previous unwanted files as well?

4. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

Not sure about that... I know if there are any bugs that are slowing the phone down or corruptions or anything, they will not go away when restore from a back up...

I usually always restore as a new phone. and then just manually add back my apps (using my computer) and other stuff. This way my phone is fresh and running at its best.

5. gaanee thread starter macrumors 65816

Ok, so if you install fresh iOS then how do you restore contacts and notes? My main concern is not about apps as much as its the contacts and notes and data. Is there any way to backup only contacts and notes then install fresh iOS, restore contacts and notes and then separately install apps. I would prefer doing a fresh install but its the tons of important data...

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You just restore from backup then if you need all your backed up stuff back.