Question about backing up apps to new phone if I switched to orange

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by The Game 161, Sep 16, 2012.

1. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Been thinking of switching to orange from Vodafone due to the fact Vodafone will never have LTE option on the 5 and I plan on keeping the 5 for two years

Obviously I know I will need a new number but how would I keep my apps and settings etc? Would I need to use download via mac or will I be able to backup them up through by apple account

Sadly I live in one of the cities where on EE we aren't listed to get 4G before Christmas but I'm hoping that will change at the start of 2013 but is it worth the risk? Just a shame Birmingham, derby will get it but not us. A guy at orange seems hopeful we will get it soon enough.but is it worth switching if there is no lock we will get it here in early 2013.. Basically being the same as vofafone.

2. BigMovieGeek macrumors regular

There's a few things you need to check.

• Make sure you phone is running the latest OS.
    • Make sure your phone is tied to an iCloud account.
    • Make sure the device is backed up to iCloud (requires Wi-Fi).

When you turn on your new phone, it will give you the option of restoring to an existing iCloud account and bam! Give it a few hours (depending on your content and Internet speed) and you're sorted. Three things that won't be brought over are audio content that wasn't purchased or eligible for iTunes match, non-photo stream pictures and video content.

I think that's everything, anyone is free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, if you're unsure about how to make sure your current phone does the above, check apple's support website as its very thorough for those things (apple.com/uk/support).

Edit: As for your question about Orange vs Vodafone, I'm going with Orange as the iPhone 5 will support EE frequencies, but will NEVER support the ones Vodafone et al will be bidding for next year.

3. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G5

The Game 161

Thanks for your help

Yeah I see your point about orange and Vodafone. Just hope we are one of the cities in 2013...