Question about bad reception and battery life.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rtomyj, Apr 22, 2013.

1. rtomyj macrumors 6502a

rtomyj

In my school, there are places where I get really bad reception and it drains my battery. My question is, if I turn off cellular data and keep just cellular, will it drain my battery less or the same?

2. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

Probably less, since apps aren't polling your data connection. Still, the battery drain is due to the phone's internal signal amplifier making up for the weak signal.

My school is basically one big Faraday cage. Very little reception, inside and outside.

3. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

the drain may be a little less, but i doubt it would be noticeable. im sure the weak cellular signal, regardless of data or not, should the cause of most of the drain. even with data turned off, the phone is still straining to stay connected to the tower for cellular use.

4. CEmajr macrumors 601

Yeah just turning off data alone won't help much. The situation is the same inside most of the buildings at my university for all 4 carriers. If you're really concerned about battery you could turn on airplane mode. Since we have Wifi here that's what I usually do. Can still use most apps and send iMessages while on airplane mode with Wifi enabled.