Question about buying a warranty replacement iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by andyx3x, Dec 29, 2011.

1. andyx3x macrumors 65816

I'm probably going to buy a warranty replacement Verizon iPhone 4 tomorrow from a guy on Craigslist. He just got it a week ago and I asked him if iOS 5 was on the phone and he said it was iOS 4.2.10

This may be a dumb question but does that tell me whether or not the phone would be a refurb? He said it didn't come with a new box or accessories but I do know that replacement phones(new or refurbs) come like that so that doesn't tell me anything.

Thanks for any help here.

2. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I would ask the buyer where he got the replacement from: Apple store or Verizon store?

If it's Apple, you're getting either a new phone or remanufactured phone, which is just as good (if not better in some ways) as new. If it's Verizon, then it's a crapshoot what you could be getting: maybe it's new, maybe it's someone else's returned iPhone that went through who-knows-what. Or maybe it's someone else's defective iPhone that might have been serviced by Apple, or could've been serviced by an in-house Verizon tech, or maybe even by a third party repair depot like Solectron or Flextronics. And as you can guess, the quality of the repair (if not done by Apple) can vary widely.

3. andyx3x thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for the tip. The person told me he swapped it a Verizon store. If I have the serial number, could Verizon tell me if the phone is new or not?

4. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

you could try, but no guarantees. They might not even know for sure.

5. andyx3x thread starter macrumors 65816

I think I'm going to buy it anyway. I've talked the guy down to $250 which is a great price. The warranty is good until 10/4/12 so if something goes wrong with the phone I can always take it to an Apple Store and get a real refurb.