Question about buying iP5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Grimes, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Grimes macrumors regular

I am unable to upgrade until June 2013...

Is there a way that I can get the iP5 by having someone else, who is eligible for the fully subsidized price, get a second phone and give it to me to hook up to my account?

My friend is eligible and said he'd do this for me, but wasn't sure if the 2nd phone he'd get would get stuck on his account. Both of us are on ATT at the moment. I wasn't sure if it was possible, so I thought I'd ask here.

Thanks in advance!

2. Hawkeye16 macrumors regular

That would work just fine. It is not stuck to an account - it is subsidized through the extra 2 year commitment of service he will have to sign up for.

If he does not have an iPhone already it may require that he keeps the iPhone plan for 2 years so make sure he does not mind paying $$ for the data plan or whatnot before you have him go through with it!

3. Grimes thread starter macrumors regular

Cool. Yea, he has the iPhone 4, so as long as he's going to upgrade his phone and extend his contract, then he can grab a second for me... And all I do is take it into ATT and have them activate it on my account?

Thanks for the quick response :)

4. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Yes, this will work.

If his phone breaks, or he wants to do an upgrade in the next two years, he is out of luck. Cause YOU took his upgrade away and obligated him to a two year contract. And, if he decides he wants to move to VZ, he still has that two year contract hanging over his head.

5. Grimes thread starter macrumors regular

I hear ya. Thanks for the info!

He'll order 2 tomorrow, extend his contract, and give me one. Next release I'll do the same for him.

6. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Order two phones? Does he have two phone lines?

I am really confused now.

7. Grimes thread starter macrumors regular

No... he has just one line. Would this not work?

Sorry if I wasn't clear.

8. pbateman macrumors 6502

You only get one per line at the subsidized price....

9. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Exactly.

If he orders two phones, he will have two phone lines with 2 - two year contracts.

Wow - do people really think they offer discounted phones just because you are a customer and they like you?

Nope - they want 24 months of service out of you - per phone.

10. Grimes thread starter macrumors regular

It was just a question that I didn't know the answer to. I understand the carriers aren't in the business of being nice, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't passing up an opportunity to get an upgrade without being gouged by the non-subsidized price.

Thanks.

11. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Sorry if that was not clear. If everyone could just buy LOTS of phones without service, then nobody would have to get a contract. Your friend could buy hundreds of them, and then resell them.

12. Grimes thread starter macrumors regular

I thought that was why they put a limit on the number you could buy.

Again, appreciate the feedback/responses.