Question about camping out... why?

Discussion in 'iPhone Launch Meetups' started by j-a-x, Jun 23, 2010.

1. j-a-x macrumors 65816

j-a-x

For the people planning on showing up at 2 am or 5 am or any time before 7 pretty much... is it because you don't have a reservations, or because you need to get your phone before work at 9? Or is it for any other reason? Do you not believe it will be possible to get a phone if you show up at say 7 or 8 am?

If I have a reservation and I show up at 8 am, do you think there will be a phone for me? Personally showing up at 8 am and waiting 3 hours would be much more pleasant than showing up at 4 am and waiting 3 hours and getting the first phone at 7.

Is it just because people need to have their phone at 7 am that they camp out, or because they are worried they will not otherwise get one?

2. ropbo macrumors newbie

In many cases, compulsion to buy the latest gadget.

3. KBP macrumors member

Partly because I never got to reserve one. Also because I do wNt the newest thing. I've been out here for36 hours...

4. iManny macrumors newbie

I have a reservation but im doing it more for the fun of staying up, meeting a few new people and having the phone early so i can play with it all day and not worry :D

5. j-a-x thread starter macrumors 65816

j-a-x

Fair enough, I can understand those reasons. Thanks for explaining it to me.

6. KaribOS macrumors newbie

Reservation.

Might be there for 5 or 6 AM. Have a full day of work that starts at 9 AM and includes going out of town in the afternoon. Can't be sure I'll be up and alert enough to go later in the evening to pick-up. Plus it looks like fun :D

7. dsn112 macrumors member

I feel like apple should have let the people who actually got to preorder pick up today, to lower the crowds. Also the people who have reserved phones that are camping are morons. Your gettig it as long as you show up, why waste a whole night up? The answer to play with it all day makes no sense because most of us already have os4 and in reality once you play with FaceTime and the new camera it's not that different.

8. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

A true geek at heart is when you camp out for the newest iDevice.

It is great for meeting new people and all, :)

9. j-a-x thread starter macrumors 65816

j-a-x

Same here, leaving on a flight at 2:30, but I don't have to work (I'm a grad student). I was hoping I could show up at 7 am and wait however long it takes and get the phone and still make my flight. I am guessing I don't have to stay up overnight to do that, and hopefully I can still meet cool Mac people.