Question about following links -- Situation RESOLVED

Clix Pix

macrumors demi-goddess
Original poster
I have noticed that when I am in MacRumors or another forum or at the Washington POST site that when I'm reading an article or post that provides a link to another one, when I click on it, I get the message: "Could Not Open a Popup Because There Are Too Many Pages Open." ?? Has anyone else experienced this? I have tried turning off the iPhone and then going back to the same thing to see if that makes a difference and it does not. While it's not a huge deal, it is somewhat annoying at times when I want to be able to jump to the other page, read it and then return to my original page.

Thanks!

tobefirst

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
Although I don't remember hearing that there was a tabs limit, how many tabs do you have open at a time? Does closing some of them help at all?

Clix Pix

macrumors demi-goddess
Original poster
I haven't noticed any tabs on the iPhone. I usually have one window open at a time. However, I do know that the iPhone does not close applications when you leave them. That's why I thought maybe shutting it off and then restarting it would clear the whole thing.

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
I haven't noticed any tabs on the iPhone. I usually have one window open at a time. However, I do know that the iPhone does not close applications when you leave them. That's why I thought maybe shutting it off and then restarting it would clear the whole thing.
They'ren't (double contraction!) "tabs" in the traditional sense. When you open a new browser window on the iPhone, they are considered additional tabs rather than new windows. Why? I don't know.

Shutting off the phone and turning it back on should clear the tabs. I think. But, I could be wrong.

tobefirst

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
They'ren't (double contraction!) "tabs" in the traditional sense. When you open a new browser window on the iPhone, they are considered additional tabs rather than new windows. Why? I don't know.

Shutting off the phone and turning it back on should clear the tabs. I think. But, I could be wrong.
...and they can be accessed by tapping the lower right corner while in Safari. Is there a chance you have a ton of them open and didn't even know it?

Clix Pix

macrumors demi-goddess
Original poster
AHA! Solved!!

When looking again at the iPhone with a browser window open I suddenly noticed the little thingy at the lower right with a number in it....touched that and the window suddenly became shrunken, making it possible to then touch the red X and voila! The number count was reduced.... Did that a few times and then once more tried following links, this time with success. :)

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
When looking again at the iPhone with a browser window open I suddenly noticed the little thingy at the lower right with a number in it....touched that and the window suddenly became shrunken, making it possible to then touch the red X and voila! The number count was reduced.... Did that a few times and then once more tried following links, this time with success. :)
Just for my own edification, how many tabs did you have open?

Clix Pix

macrumors demi-goddess
Original poster
Just for my own edification, how many tabs did you have open?
I had 8 of them open. That's what caught my eye: the little thingy with the number "8" in it. I thought, "oh....wait a minute!" So now I know....pay attention to closing those!!! I hadn't even noticed that before -- DUH!!! Guess there was so much new all at once that I didn't pay attention when first following links....

Thanks, all!