Question about getting a full priced iPhone 5 replaced

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by andyx3x, Nov 13, 2012.

1. andyx3x macrumors 65816

I paid full price for an AT&T 16gb black iPhone last Monday at a local Apple Store with the intention of unlocking it for use on T-Mobile. For those who don't know if you pay full price for an AT&T iPhone 5, it will unlock when you restore it in iTunes.

Everything went OK until I decided to download 6.0.1 a few days ago. I then got the lost wifi bug and battery life isn't as good. I have an appointment at the genius bar tonight and it looks like I am going to get a replacement phone.

Question is, since I paid full price for my 5, will I have any problems with the replacement as far as not being able to unlock it? I wouldn't think so with the phone not being tied to an AT&T contract, but I'm not 100 percent sure about it.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The unlock carries over to the replacement phone.

3. andyx3x thread starter macrumors 65816

So you're saying when I put in my T-Mobile sim card it should work without having to restore the phone to unlock it again?

4. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

you might have to restore it again, which shouldn't take very long. But hey you can always try it, takes like a second to do.

5. andyx3x thread starter macrumors 65816

Just got my phone replaced and I did have to restore in iTunes to get everything working again. The good this is the software is on 6.0. 6.0.1 really screwed my phone up. I won't be updating for now.

6. papaalex macrumors newbie

My Unsubsidized ATT iphone 5 used on Tmobile is currently running on updated 6.0.1. So far no problems from the one you mentioned, in fact battery life of this iphone 5 is even better than my previous iphone 4S.

7. andyx3x thread starter macrumors 65816

Now the replacement iPhone is having some wifi connectivity issues. I may have to upgrade to 6.0.1 after all.

If battery life is great on the replacement phone, I may just stay on 6.0 and deal with the wifi connectivity issue until a new software update comes out. One way to fix the issue is to turn cellular data off. That is much less irritating than having to re-connect to wifi every time.

And I don't want to have to keep going to the Apple Store every few days to get a replacement phone. They'll fix it eventually I guess.

8. cruzmisl macrumors regular

9. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

turn off celluar data, turn on ask to join networks and turn on wifi, try to load something in safari, when the list pops up press the network you want to stay connected to. Now when you turn on wi-fi it will look for that network.

10. andyx3x thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for the tip but I discovered that a little bit earlier in just playing around with the phone. It seems that the "ask to join Wi-Fi networks" is off by default in iOS 6. I turned it on and while doing something that required internet access on the phone my Wi-Fi network did pop up and asked if I wanted to join it. That must have been what fixed it.

I still will not upgrade to 6.0.1 because I don't won't to risk screwing this up or having my battery life go down.