Question about getting iPhone 5 without preordering.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by andrewr2123, Sep 16, 2012.

1. andrewr2123 macrumors member

Ok, so I have a three day break from college on October 12-14, and I'm planning on going home and getting the new iPhone during that break.

By that time, do you think that I'll be able to just go into an AT&T or Verizon store and they'll have them in stock? Or should I order one now and pick it up later?

I just remember after the iPhone 4 was released, I went to the store about 3 weeks after it was released and had to wait about a week for it to arrive, because they didn't have them available at the store...

Sorry, I'm not used to getting a new iPhone right after they come out, so I don't really know how it all works out..

Thanks for any help!

2. maclook macrumors 65816

I suggest you order online and have it ship to your home so that it'll be waiting for you instead of hoping your store has your model in stock during those 3 days that you're home.

My experience with getting the 4 and 4S at the Apple store weeks after release was spotty. I had to call, check if they got a shipment of my model, and run to the store and hope that someone else hadn't bought it yet.

edit: oops I thought you said Apple store, not AT&T/Verizon store. I don't have any experience with them...

3. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

I would order it now and you should have it about the time you want. Thinking that you will be able to get one a month after release by just walking in is not a good idea.

You might get lucky, but if you find one it will be exactly that, "luck"

Apple stores will be spotty for the next few months and the carriers will be even worse because they usually do type of reserve after launch.

People will come in and be put on a list and as phones come in they will back fill to the list. Which means that for several months after launch any phones the carriers get will be spoken for from the list.

4. andrewr2123 thread starter macrumors member

Ok, thanks a lot!

I think I'll try and get them ordered soon so they'll for sure be ready when I'm on break!