Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ovo6

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 10, 2015
You know when you set up your new phone as new you still get all your contacts but what about if i had icloud photo library enabled on my previous phone ? would all those photos still come up too?

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2011
As long as the old device has had sufficient time to upload all images to the iCloud Photo Library and you log into the new device with the same Apple ID and give it time to download everything.

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)
If you had "iCloud Photo Library" enabled on your previous phone and it was able to upload your pictures (usually it requires WiFi by default), then yes, when you set up your new phone, all your pictures will be available, so long as you use the same AppleID and enable iCloud Photo Library on that device.

donawalt

Contributor
Sep 10, 2015
One clarification on uploading - if it has a lot of photos to upload on iCloud Photo Library, it will "pause" if on battery and you have to manually tap it to resume (in the iOS Photos app, tap Photo at bottom left corner, scroll to bottom to see it). Safest to ensure photos upload is to leave it on power and on WiFi. You can see if it's current looking at the same place I mentioned above (Photos app/Photos at the bottom).

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
Also if you try to erase your old iPhone before photos and other iCloud content has finished uploading, you will be warned of this and given the opportunity to wait for uploading to finish.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.