Question about installing Crucial M4 SSD on newly purchased 13" cMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by brig2221, Jan 1, 2013.

1. brig2221 macrumors 6502

I have a quick question for the knowledgeable folks here regarding an SSD installation (Crucial M4/256GB).

I recently purchased the base model 13" classic MacBook Pro that comes with a 512MB mechanical hard drive. I had originally intended on pulling out the optical drive and putting an SSD in with an adapter. However, the more I have thought about it, I realize I won't need that much space at all, and am thinking about just swapping out the current mechanical hard drive with the Crucial M4 SSD.

Do I need any sort of adapter to do this, or do I just need the SSD itself? I figure if I ever do run out of space, I can then go ahead and install a second SSD where the optical drive currently resides. However, I figure I might as well keep the optical drive for now until that happens (if ever).

Any help here is greatly appreciated.

2. simsaladimbamba

No adapter needed, as 2.5" S-ATA HDDs use the same interface as 2.5" S-ATA SSDs.

MacBook, MacBook Pro: Replacing the Hard Disk Drive, transferring data to the new HDD/SSD

the guide includes:
    • 0. Identify your MacBook or MacBook Pro
    • 1. Getting a new HDD
    • 2. Guides to replace the internal HDD with a newer one
    • 3. Transferring data from the old HDD to the new HDD
    • 4. Using the optical disk drive (ODD) slot for placing an SSD or HDD inside the MB/P (OPTIBAY)

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You don't need an adapter. Here's a simple approach:
    1. Buy an external enclosure and put your old drive in it.
    2. Install your new drive in your Mac.
    3. Boot from your old (external) drive by holding the Option key on startup.
    4. Use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the old (external) drive to the new (internal) drive.
    5. Boot from the new internal drive.
    6. Your now running on your new internal drive and your old drive is now an external drive, useful for backups or additional storage.

4. brig2221 thread starter macrumors 6502

Awesome. Thanks so much!