Question about iPhone 5 speaker compared to the 4S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by apollo1444, Sep 24, 2012.

1. apollo1444 macrumors 65816

For those lucky bastards that already have it! (Have to wait for October in mx) giving the fact that this phone is thinner, does the speaker sound as loud as the 4S? or as low as the iPhone 4?

2. sparayno1 macrumors newbie

The speakers are noticeably louder than my iPhone 4 speakers.

3. sparky12 macrumors newbie

Whenever I put the volume on loud on my phone, it has buzz to it. Not sure if this is normal, but it's annoying if I want to hold the phone.

4. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

I'm really surprised nobody has really covered this yet. All the reviews I've read don't even seem to mention it, but the quietness of the speaker is one of the things I've always wished was better on the iPhone 4/4S.

5. apollo1444 thread starter macrumors 65816

people did talk about this when the 4S got released, it has a much higher and improved speaker than the iPhone 4, that's why I was asking about the 5

6. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

Right, I'm agreeing with you. Apologies if I wasn't clear in my last post. I, too, am wondering how the iPhone 5's speaker performs compared to the iPhone 4/4S.

7. LaynieGorilla macrumors 6502

I don't know about the 4S but they are significantly louder on my 5 compared to my 4. I tested the music app, not the ringtones but hopefully I will be able to hear my ringtones better from a distance than I can my 4. Unlike previous, with the four if I went into another room or upstairs I wouldn't hear it over my moderately loud television or sometimes nothing at all.

8. Anajaf27 macrumors regular

9. logicpro7 macrumors 6502a

The 5 sounds better! When listening to music theres no distortion and it seems to have a better low response.

10. Cowboy1629 macrumors regular

Cowboy1629

I think it is equal to my 4s and the 4s was better than the 4 I had.

11. Anajaf27 macrumors regular

12. krick macrumors regular

It depends on the degree. All speakers work by way of vibrations so it would be odd if you didn't feel the vibrations, particularly at high volume. That being said, I just had my iP5 swapped out because its speaker was excessively buzzy/tizzy/distorted (call it what you will). Take that with a grain of salt, however, I'm an audiophile geek and things bug me to distraction when it comes to audio that wouldn't bother anyone else, and 9 out of 10 people wouldn't have noticed any appreciable difference between my phone and any other iP5. The genius agent did hear the difference, but he clearly thought, and I readily admitted, that I was being very nit-picky about it. In my defense, however, unlike with the scuffs, which I do find people to be over-reacting about, this wasn't one of those things that would happen to my phone anyway over time as normal wear and tear. My replacement phone is noticeably better (to me).

With the caveat that I'm an audio-idiot savant, every iP5 phone I've listened to distorts like crazy at anything above 2/3rds volume and much more so at full volume than the iP4s. That being said, the iP5 plays much louder at full volume than the iP4s, which they seem to have accomplished at the expense of some sound fidelity.

13. sparky12 macrumors newbie

Yeah makes sense. I went to an apple store, and the guy told me the buzzing was pretty normal. I also checked out the other phones on display and they did buzz as well, but I just keep thinking mine is worse. I may just be OCD about this like you are, cause it does get a bit annoying. I'm going to wait a couple more days and keep testing it out before I go back and ask for a replacement.

14. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

One!

Well you could say two but I'm sticking to one to answer your question!!

15. Anajaf27 macrumors regular

So you don't know either?

16. emma777 macrumors member

Interesting how the iPhone 5 has design elements that trace back to its roots. The speaker grill "holes", and the aluminum back and are harking back to the "original". I remember my 2007 iphone. Still miss it. ;)

17. HaroldStewar macrumors newbie

Whenever I put the volume on loud on my phone[​IMG]

18. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

I'm interested too. My 4S sounds noticeably louder and clearer than my friends 4.

19. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

It has one speaker which is the largest grill and the smaller one is a microphone.

I read somewhere on here a tip to increase the volume.

Turn your music app on without using headphones.

Crank the volume up to where you want it then pause the song, and come out of the music app.

20. Anajaf27 macrumors regular

21. aphexacid macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

Iphone 4 loudspeaker was majorly weaksauce. The 4S was WAY louder than the 4. And the 5 is a tad bit louder than the 4S.

22. dksram macrumors member

23. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

As per dksram... One (1) uno, speaker only

Attached Files:

24. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

It's 1 at the bottom and technically the earpiece is classed as a speaker too

25. slayerz96 macrumors member

All iPhones have only 1 speaker. iPhone 5 has 3 mics.

iPhone 4 was seriously dead soft. 4S was not much better (louder but still soft - had to rely a lot on vibration). I sure hope 5 is at least passable.