Question about iPhone 5 speaker compared to the 4S

apollo1444

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 22, 2011
mexico
For those lucky bastards that already have it! (Have to wait for October in mx) giving the fact that this phone is thinner, does the speaker sound as loud as the 4S? or as low as the iPhone 4?

sparky12

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2012
Whenever I put the volume on loud on my phone, it has buzz to it. Not sure if this is normal, but it's annoying if I want to hold the phone.

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
I'm really surprised nobody has really covered this yet. All the reviews I've read don't even seem to mention it, but the quietness of the speaker is one of the things I've always wished was better on the iPhone 4/4S.

apollo1444

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 22, 2011
mexico
I'm really surprised nobody has really covered this yet. All the reviews I've read don't even seem to mention it, but the quietness of the speaker is one of the things I've always wished was better on the iPhone 4/4S.
people did talk about this when the 4S got released, it has a much higher and improved speaker than the iPhone 4, that's why I was asking about the 5

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
people did talk about this when the 4S got released, it has a much higher and improved speaker than the iPhone 4, that's why I was asking about the 5
Right, I'm agreeing with you. Apologies if I wasn't clear in my last post. I, too, am wondering how the iPhone 5's speaker performs compared to the iPhone 4/4S.

LaynieGorilla

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2011
PA
I don't know about the 4S but they are significantly louder on my 5 compared to my 4. I tested the music app, not the ringtones but hopefully I will be able to hear my ringtones better from a distance than I can my 4. Unlike previous, with the four if I went into another room or upstairs I wouldn't hear it over my moderately loud television or sometimes nothing at all.

krick

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2009
Whenever I put the volume on loud on my phone, it has buzz to it. Not sure if this is normal, but it's annoying if I want to hold the phone.
It depends on the degree. All speakers work by way of vibrations so it would be odd if you didn't feel the vibrations, particularly at high volume. That being said, I just had my iP5 swapped out because its speaker was excessively buzzy/tizzy/distorted (call it what you will). Take that with a grain of salt, however, I'm an audiophile geek and things bug me to distraction when it comes to audio that wouldn't bother anyone else, and 9 out of 10 people wouldn't have noticed any appreciable difference between my phone and any other iP5. The genius agent did hear the difference, but he clearly thought, and I readily admitted, that I was being very nit-picky about it. In my defense, however, unlike with the scuffs, which I do find people to be over-reacting about, this wasn't one of those things that would happen to my phone anyway over time as normal wear and tear. My replacement phone is noticeably better (to me).

The 5 sounds better! When listening to music theres no distortion and it seems to have a better low response.
With the caveat that I'm an audio-idiot savant, every iP5 phone I've listened to distorts like crazy at anything above 2/3rds volume and much more so at full volume than the iP4s. That being said, the iP5 plays much louder at full volume than the iP4s, which they seem to have accomplished at the expense of some sound fidelity.

sparky12

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2012
It depends on the degree. All speakers work by way of vibrations so it would be odd if you didn't feel the vibrations, particularly at high volume. That being said, I just had my iP5 swapped out because its speaker was excessively buzzy/tizzy/distorted (call it what you will). Take that with a grain of salt, however, I'm an audiophile geek and things bug me to distraction when it comes to audio that wouldn't bother anyone else, and 9 out of 10 people wouldn't have noticed any appreciable difference between my phone and any other iP5. The genius agent did hear the difference, but he clearly thought, and I readily admitted, that I was being very nit-picky about it. In my defense, however, unlike with the scuffs, which I do find people to be over-reacting about, this wasn't one of those things that would happen to my phone anyway over time as normal wear and tear. My replacement phone is noticeably better (to me).

With the caveat that I'm an audio-idiot savant, every iP5 phone I've listened to distorts like crazy at anything above 2/3rds volume and much more so at full volume than the iP4s. That being said, the iP5 plays much louder at full volume than the iP4s, which they seem to have accomplished at the expense of some sound fidelity.
Yeah makes sense. I went to an apple store, and the guy told me the buzzing was pretty normal. I also checked out the other phones on display and they did buzz as well, but I just keep thinking mine is worse. I may just be OCD about this like you are, cause it does get a bit annoying. I'm going to wait a couple more days and keep testing it out before I go back and ask for a replacement.

emma777

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2012
India, New delhi
Interesting how the iPhone 5 has design elements that trace back to its roots. The speaker grill "holes", and the aluminum back and are harking back to the "original". I remember my 2007 iphone. Still miss it. ;)

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
It has one speaker which is the largest grill and the smaller one is a microphone.

I read somewhere on here a tip to increase the volume.

Turn your music app on without using headphones.

Crank the volume up to where you want it then pause the song, and come out of the music app.

aphexacid

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Chicago
Iphone 4 loudspeaker was majorly weaksauce. The 4S was WAY louder than the 4. And the 5 is a tad bit louder than the 4S.

slayerz96

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2012
Singapore
All iPhones have only 1 speaker. iPhone 5 has 3 mics.

iPhone 4 was seriously dead soft. 4S was not much better (louder but still soft - had to rely a lot on vibration). I sure hope 5 is at least passable.