Question about iPhone texts....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Order and Chaos, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Order and Chaos macrumors newbie

Order and Chaos

So I've been trying to figure out a way to view texts I've had on my iPhone since 2 years ago, but as most of you probably know, the further you scroll back in texts, the slower it gets and then once you get to a year prior, the phone just becomes frozen.
    I know that iTunes backs up everything from the iPhone so is there a way to view the backed up texts on a PC?

2. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Does that happen? I have thousands of texts with my GF going back to '08 and have never had a freezing problem when going back though (though it does take a god awful amount of time)

3. Order and Chaos thread starter macrumors newbie

Order and Chaos

Yea because when I go to see pictures from the texts it freezes at that point when I'm back to early '11.
    Does anyone know if there is a way to see them through iTunes at least?

4. Order and Chaos thread starter macrumors newbie

Order and Chaos

I see a file on iTunes that could be the backup of the phone, is there anyway to convert it into a readable document file?

5. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

yet another reason to jailbreak (message to pdf)

6. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

If you're looking at one thread, you should be able to go to any picture that was sent/you sent, select it and scroll through all pictures that were in that conversation.

If you're only going back to look through pictures that would be my best solution.

7. TomAndrews macrumors member

You could download some software like PhoneView or an equivalent and from there you can read texts. Just plug your phone in and it has the text conversation there :) Not sure if there is a Windows alternative if you're not on a mac, i'm sure there is if you google around for a bit!

Hope this helps!

8. aneftp macrumors 601

Just a quick question.

Why do people keep text messages around for that long?

If there's an important message, just take a snapshot pic from the phone to save as a photo.

I delete almost all my text messages every other day. Lots of useless things many people text me about.

If it's important, I will take a snapshot.

Really save texts from back in 2008?

9. Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

My thoughts exactly.

But I agree with the OP, searching thru old texts does slow down the phone in its attempt to retrieve the old messages. I've gone back a few weeks and it's been a real PITA. Maybe if Apple implemented something similar to Google Voice, where your texts are on your device and online, then that would be very awesome.

10. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I am sure it's a case of not knowing it was important at the time...

11. andyx3x macrumors 65816

This is my question. I guess it's just that hoarder mentality.

I delete all texts pretty soon after I send or receive one. I don't like a lot of unnecessary clutter.