Question about iPhone without Data Plan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SomeonePlzHelp, Nov 4, 2011.

1. SomeonePlzHelp macrumors regular

Okay so I'm getting a new 4S here in about a month, and currently I have my 3GS which still works great.

When I get the new 4S I will be giving my dad my 3GS.

My dad doesn't have a Data plan, nor does he need/want one. I was hoping to swap out his SIM card from his current Samsung and put it in the 3GS and have him use everything on it except data features. (because he can just use wifi when he needs to)

Am I able to do this for him without AT&T adding a Data Plan on their own? Because I have heard cases of that occurring.

Thanks for the help guys

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Sometimes (rarely) it'll let you use the iPhone without a data plan without ever needing one, but in most cases it will add one even if it doesn't show immediately. It depends how long ago he got the "data opt out" on his account.

You can try and see what happens. If it changes it, you can put the SIM back into his old phone and call AT&T to remove the data plan.

3. SomeonePlzHelp thread starter macrumors regular

Well see his phone is like 2 years old right now, and back then when he got the Samsung Eternity you weren't required to get a Data Plan along with it.

------------------
    Also is there possibly a way to bypass needing the Data Plan if I jailbreak and do something? Or unlock it and do something? idk

4. aneftp macrumors 68040

As of September 2009 AT&T starting requiring all smartphones have at least some type of data plan on their network.

The system "sweep" will add at least a $15/200mb data plan regardless if your dad doesn't need it.

If you think that's bad, Sprint or Verizon will not let you add/activate any smartphone without a data plan either.

Obvious data is a cash cow for carriers these days.

----------

September 2009 was the policy change data.

5. SomeonePlzHelp thread starter macrumors regular

Even if his phone now is 2 years old? He got it back when you didn't need a Data Plan, so would I be able to put his SIM in the 3GS and keep this **** all under the table without AT&T finding out?
    Also like my previous post said, what if I jailbreak or do something to it?

"September 2009 was the policy change data"
    He got it before that, so he doesn't have data on it.

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

This is why I said it was hit or miss. Just put the SIM into the iPhone and see what happens. If it adds it, you put the same back into the Samsung and ask AT&T to remove any data plans.

7. forcetactic macrumors 6502

ATT requires data plan on all iPhones so it should not work regardless. If you want to try, block data on his line and turn off cellular data, then insert his sim in the 3GS.

Worst case scenario, you will get caught at some random time. You will just pay 1/30 x $25 prorated by switching to dumb phone and canceling.

8. SomeonePlzHelp thread starter macrumors regular

"ATT requires data plan on all iPhones so it should not work regardless."
    I've put his SIM in it and text my sister and it said it was from my dad, so the phone will still function, and send texts/calls from his number. But I then promptly removed the sim and put mine back in.

Yeah I guess I will just attempt it for him, and then if AT&T tries to add data, I will just remove it and put him back to his Samsung.

9. spikefood macrumors regular

Att will know when you switch phones because of the IMEI number. Unless you jailbreak and illegally modify your IMEI number you cannot avoid the data plan.

10. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Nope you cannot

11. SomeonePlzHelp thread starter macrumors regular

>Unless you jailbreak and illegally modify your IMEI number you cannot avoid the data plan.

Yeahh Idk about that..

Oh well, coming to the conclusion there is not a way around the required Data Plan..
    Thanks for the replies guys.

12. dave006 macrumors 68020

Keep that Samsung charged and ready to return to service. AT&T will notice, it is done by an automated system that sweeps the system.

The iPhone will turn you in as soon as it connects to the network. Leave it there and 99.999% of all customer will get the data plan added. You will receive a text message warning but keep his Mini-SIM in your iPhone 3GS and you will get the data plan added. :eek:

The fact that you are able to SMS Txt your sister and it appears to come from your Father is because the phone number is based on the ICCID of the Mini-SIM. That's one of the claimes to fame for GSM. Just put your active SIM in any compatible GSM phone and BAM it works. ;) Phone number follows the SIM and the data plan requrement follows the IMEI of the device, and in this case, your iPhone 3GS requres a data plan to use it on a post-paid AT&T account.

Dave

13. SomeonePlzHelp thread starter macrumors regular

Wow alright that about clears everything up. Thank you for the help and all that information. Ohh wonderful AT&T..

14. forcetactic macrumors 6502

^Just fyi it might take you a few months before you're caught. When I tried using the i4 without data, they'd catch me about once a month on average. I just call, cancel, and put it back in.

15. vincent6396 macrumors member

I gave my son a 2g iphone last year and he's been using it without any data plan. I just jailbreak and unlocked it, AT&T never tried to add any data plan at all. Wife just told AT&T to block internet on his number when we first got him a phone.

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

On the 2G iPhone they will not automaticly add the data plan.
    All other iPhones they will. It's just a matter of time.
    Only way around it is to use a prepaid AT&T sim or switch to tmobile.

17. dave006 macrumors 68020

You are correct about the original iPhone ( what you call a 2g ), since it was a special agreement between AT&T and Apple. AT&T has to split the revenue wiith Apple for the special original iPhone Unlimited Data plan.

Now you know why they will let you slide on the original iPhone. AT&T will let you slip by for the original iPhone but once you move to the iPhone 3G/3GS/4/4S you will get an iPhone data plan added so plan for it rather then be suprised when you get the SMS Txt message. :eek::mad:

Dave

18. Leet Apple macrumors 6502a

Leet Apple

An iPhone without Data is like a video game console without a controller, its pointless

19. PerplexShyt macrumors 6502

I know it's been said already but the iPhone REQUIRES a data plan. And of they will automatically add it if they find out.

However, the iPhone 2g is pretty much the only smart phone that you do NOT need a data plan since it runs off the edge network. It's not an official stance, but they won't give you any lip about it, just say you want the pay per usage data plan. That only works for the 2g right now as far as I know, but hey give it a shot who knows