Question about longer iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by groupersandwich, Jul 10, 2012.

1. groupersandwich macrumors 6502

I'm not interested in opinions on whether is a good thing, or if anyone likes the idea or not. Those issues are being covered in numerous threads. However, I have a question about the actual physical dimensions of the rumored 4" screen. If it is to be a 16:9 ratio would that make it essentially the same as most Android 4" screens? I ask this because if so it would give me reference point that I could put into my hands and compare it to. Thanks in advance.

2. Stuntman06 macrumors 6502a

Stuntman06

Based on the rumours that I have seen on various tech web sites, the new iPhone screen is going to be just as wide as the old one, but taller. The aspect ratio will be 16:9 instead of the current 3x2. The pixel density is supposed to be the same as the 4/4s. Basically, it's a 4/4s screen that is just taller with addition pixels along only one dimension.

Note that this information is based on rumours only. There is nothing official from Apple with regard to the size of the next iPhone's screen.

3. groupersandwich thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, but I know all of that. What I'm curious about is if these rumored dimensions are the same as what's currently found on 4" Android devices. I apologize if I was not clear in my original post.

4. Stuntman06 macrumors 6502a

Stuntman06

Most high-end Android devices have screens that are 4.7" in size. The Samsung Galaxy S III has a 4.8" screen with an aspect ratio of 16:9. The rumoured new iPhone will still be smaller than this. A closer comparison would be the old Nexus S that was released in 2010. The Nexus S phone has a 4" screen with an aspect ratio of 5:3 or 15:9. Other high end Android phones are the HTC One X and One S. The One X has a 4.7" screen with an aspect ratio of 16:9. The One S has a 4.3" screen with an aspect ration of 16:9.

I think you will find that most high end Android phones have screen sizes of 4.3"-4.8". Some mid-range to lower end phones will have a screen size of 4" or lower. You can check out http://www.gsmarena.com/ for some very good specs on various phones.

5. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

If you can find a 16:9 4" Android phone, than yes, dimensions will be similar.

6. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

I do not think there are too many other phones out there that are 16:9. It's not too practical for a phone where width is every bit as important as length. (for example, text isn't any larger on anything just because your screen is taller. You'll still need to zoom in to read anything. You'll have to scroll less, but IMO, who cares if you're zoomed in to read in the first place. Having a wider screen (also) would mean more reading, less zooming.

You didn't ask for my opinion, but there you are.... :)

7. groupersandwich thread starter macrumors 6502

8. Arelunde macrumors 6502a

Arelunde

I'm somewhat disappointed that the speculation specs for the iPh5 center on a 4-inch screen. I used to use my iPhone 4 for a lot of web work, but not any more. I can't stand the tiny screen/tiny type/scrollscrollscroll. Once I got the iPad, nearly all my iPhone apps are unused. In one sense, I'm kind of interested in the potential 7-inch iPad with possible 4G. VoIP becomes a possible alternative to cell service (and costs). Interesting.....

9. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

That's exactly what happened when I got my iPad (2). I do NO typing or browsing of any kind on my iPhone. No video/youtubing at all.. Just too painful. With the potential of a 7" iPad, I may just dump my iPhone all together and get a cheap flip phone and a 7" iPad.

This is kind of why I'm skeptical about a 7" iPad. It would cannibalize iPhone and iPad sales.

10. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

No it won't.

The size increase from 3.5" to 4.0" achieved by elongating the phone, will be very limited in it's usefulness. Since it will only be longer, and no wider, it will still be very cramped when typing in the landscape mode. When viewing web pages in landscape it will still require a lot of scrolling.

I've given this rumor a lot of thought and I can only guess that if Apple keeps it narrow, it's for the ladies and those with small hands. It's no secret that for some reason iPhone enthusiasts either fear change or truly like tiny phones.

The amount of complaining at the mere suggestion of increasing the size of it has met with great uproar here in the forum. Just read some of the other threads, and you'd think they were considering making the phone four times larger than it is now.

11. swoosh0217 macrumors 6502a

swoosh0217

If indeed the iPhone 5 is a taller version of the iPhone 4/S, it will remind me of my android G2X phone which has a 4 inch screen. I did a side by side comparison. Width wise it is the same with my 4S but length wise its allot taller than my 4S.

[​IMG]

12. bad03xtreme macrumors 6502a

bad03xtreme

13. aztooh macrumors 6502a

I think you need to rethink that first statement. Atrix/2/HD, Galaxy S3, Nexus, Razr/Maxx...Note is close at 16/10....

Any of Androids offerings with a 960x540 resolution (qHD), which was a lot of them..and now a lot w/1280x720 <--Which is obviously wider and taller.

14. BuckeyeMac macrumors 6502

Do not want.

At this point it's either get get with the bigger screen trend or get left behind IMO. Not saying that Apple won't sell a bunch of phones, because they will, but it could be the year that Android > iPhone

15. swoosh0217 macrumors 6502a

swoosh0217

Huh?!?! :confused: :eek: :D

16. BuckeyeMac macrumors 6502

Lol

Look at how cell phones started. They were huge, then went to how small can I make it? Now with all of these features and computing power, it's going to be years before we go back to a "how small can I make a cell phone". All I'm saying is big is in right now

And you have to adapt to make your mark.

Lol. I'm pretty sure you can say "that's what she said" after 3/4 of that post :D

17. Arelunde macrumors 6502a

Arelunde

I'm thinking, too, that if a 7-inch mini-iPad arrives, it might be time to search for a plain ol' cell phone (and where would one find something like that these days??), dropping the smartphone surcharges.

I would be really interested in seeing how the Note is working out. Theoretically, it seems possibly a perfect blend of two worlds - tablet and smartphone - if it weren't Android/Google based. As for phone conversations, I almost always use speaker anyway, so holding it isn't an issue.

18. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Not true, here are the dimensions of the phones you own.

124 x 64 mm - G2X 4.0" display

115 x 58 mm - iP4S 3.5" display

So as you can see the Android G2X is indeed wider by 6mm.

While that's not much it makes quite a difference in working room on the screen.

Conversely, it proves the haters wrong, as they act like it's as big as a truck.

19. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

I couldn't agree more. I hate having to zoom, and never use landscape because it is annoying. I usually only use landscape to avoid having to zoom. I prefer to be able to see the entire line of the text, so I don't have to scroll side to side as I read.

20. Arelunde, Jul 17, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2012

Arelunde macrumors 6502a

Arelunde

It's crazy that all the recent speculation on the next iPhone iteration involves a tiny addition of screen height. After all, + 1/2 inch on a diagonal is little more than 1/4 inch in height with the very same form factor as the last two versions. Where's the improvement in THAT??? It sure makes the competition look more appealing, if it weren't for the Google affiliation.

I sure hope current speculation is waaaay of mark this time around and Apple totally pulls one off on us all with a beautiful 4.7-5 inch screen, proportionately wider and in a case that conforms to the hand (curved back). I haven't seen any of the speculation cases that look quality enough to be real, but some have the expected improvements. Oh well.

If you want to see some of the wild speculation on an iPhone 5 size and shape, check out this website

http://www.google.com/search?q=iPho...mq2QWjxuScBQ&ved=0CF4QsAQ4Cg&biw=1278&bih=600