Question about my "broken" iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gamecube117, Sep 19, 2013.

1. gamecube117 macrumors 6502

So I recieved my iPhone 5 at the end of September last month/early October.

Recently, a few months ago my friend was playing with my phone. She tried locking my phone when she was done, and she said "it didn't work". And I asked her what was she talking about, and she said the lock button on the top right corner does not lock. I've had this phone for MONTHS and I NEVER knew there was a lock button there! I have assitive touch on, so I always use that to turn it off (I went from Blackberry to my first iPhone, and my friend was setting it all up for me and told me if I ever want to lock my phone to use the asst. touch).

Anyway, my friend told me I should get it replaced because I have one year to do so. Even though I found out I had lock button -- a broken lock button, I didn't care. I never lock my phone using the button anyways, and I never turn off my phone. (And to answer people's question to why I've never seen the button - when I got my phone, I bought a case, sticker, etc everything for it, and my friend applied everything on it, including setting my iPhone, and my case actually blocked the button so I never saw it).

Anyways, today I upgraded to the iOS 7. It was being really glitchy, and I had to turn it off (I've had this phone for almost one year, and I actually had to google today how to turn off my iPhone because I never had it turned off before. If I ever needed to "reset" my phone I just turn Airplane mode on and off).

So I found out I could hold the "lock" button on my asstive touch, and I can turn it off that way. And it worked! But then I realized... How the hell am I gonna turn it back on. :confused::confused::confused::confused:

It took me one hour (not exagerating), pressing down the button on the top corner immensely, and it finally turned on. I never realized how important that button was, so I'm really considering going to the Apple store to get it fixed/replaced. But since I'm getting it replaced... Do you think they would let me "upgrade" (fee or no fee) to the 5S? Regardless, I want it replaced, 5S or not :)

Any advice would be helpful, thank you!

2. maliu macrumors 6502a

They will replace/fix it but not upgrade you.

3. gamecube117 thread starter macrumors 6502

Aww, even if I wanted to pay a fee?

And I would prefer if they fixed it, and not replaced it (unless I was getting upgraded). My friend told me they would give me a brand new phone, but I would rather just keep my phone than get a new phone and have to install all those apps, contacts, pictures back into my phone (I'm not tech savy so it would take me forever :|)

4. Silverbird0000 macrumors 6502a

Lock button can not be fixed. It is an entire phone replacement. And to turn it back on when you have a broken lock button is a simple matter of just plugging it into power. It will automatically turn on when it senses it is plugged in.

5. gamecube117 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ohh, awesome. Thanks for the tip!

6. Silverbird0000 macrumors 6502a

You're welcome!

7. mobilebuddha macrumors regular

btw.. i don't believe you can be upgraded to 5s, unless you are paying for the full cost of a new phone or add a line via your carrier. I had to bring my work phone in for service (same issue as yours) and I overheard someone else was asking about upgrading a broken phone under warranty, etc. she was shot down by the apple store rep.

8. benji888 macrumors 65816

benji888

I had an issue with this button also, 2 months after I got it. I read about it elsewhere and found out that if I pressed the left side of the button it worked every time, right side did not work and in the middle was very inconsistent. That might help until you get it fixed.

But, it is true, it is not an easy fix, Apple does not fix these in the store, send them out to be fixed, so they will give you a replacement (reconditioned) iPhone. I've had my replacement for 9 months now, no problems.

As far as an upgrade goes, that will be entirely dependent on your carrier/contract, as this would fall under warranty and Apple only offers replacement.

As far as keeping your stuff on your phone, you simply need to do a sync w/iTunes on your computer before going to Apple store. (Make sure you have it set to backup the phone.) As long as you have things synced and backed up you will be able to do a restore from backup with the new iPhone and it will all be automatic.

This guide will help you make sure you have a backup and make sure it is a painless transition: http://www.macworld.com/article/2046747/bugs-and-fixes-back-up-to-avoid-iphone-disasters.html

9. gamecube117 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the tip, but I don't think I will be going through unless they can fix it on the spot. I don't want it replaced because I've spent $60 on those stickers for my iPhone 5 the past year (I've been going through a lot of brands and switching from matte to glossy, etc etc). Getting a replaced iPhone 5 I have to re buy all of it and it's annoying. I wish I got the 5S though!

10. mzd macrumors 6502a

seriously, i would urge you to reconsider getting it replaced. you have a legitimate hardware issue that will not go away on its own. you are still under warranty so it doesn't cost you anything (aside from the screen protector). unless you are planning on keeping this broken iPhone for the foreseeable future, you are seriously hurting your resale value with a broken lock button. it will cost you (or whomever you sell it to down the road) $270 to get fixed the day your warranty expires. just to save ~$15 on a new screen protector doesn't really make sense imo. :confused:

11. benji888 macrumors 65816

benji888

I don't recommend not getting it replaced. They don't fix it in store because it requires taking the phone apart inside...it's just too much work to fix the button in store.

As far as "stickers" go...I have Zagg brand invisible shield front/back on my iPhone 5, they have a lifetime warranty, and when I got it replaced for the button issue I just sent a warranty request and they sent me replacements for 3.99 shipping (I think it's free now), you just have to send the old ones back to them within so many days (they send envelope w/replacements). So you just have to peel them off before you give phone to apple. ...I don't know about other brands, but, this is one reason I go with Zagg.