Question about my local library...

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by 938092, Jul 1, 2015.

1. 938092 Suspended

iCloud music library is weird...

If you have it enabled on your devices, it uses cloud-versions rather than the ones in your iTunes library and you can no longer sync your local iTunes files... Big problem as disabling the iCloud music library also prevents you from saving Apple Music music... Can anyone explain?

2. marekkurlmann macrumors regular

Bad news. To be clear, iTunes replaces the local files in iTunes itself (i.e., on your Mac, not just on your iPhone/iPad) and replaces them with streams?

3. 938092 thread starter Suspended

It seems to replace the files on your iPhones or iPad with 256kbps iTunes versions. So let's say I have a library consisting of ALAC lossless files on my Mac. If I turn on the iCloud library on all 3 devices, the mac uploads song information to iTunes and if a match is found, the version on the iPad/iPhone is replaced with the the 256kbps version... From my understanding?

4. marekkurlmann macrumors regular

That's frustrating. What happens to your original local ALAC files in iTunes itself (on your Mac)? Do they stay or are they replaced by streams?

5. Rigby macrumors 601

This is exactly what iTunes Match always did. If files are matched you get the iTunes store version when you stream or download from he cloud. The original files are not touched unless you delete and re-download them yourself.

6. 938092 thread starter Suspended

No the ones in my library on Mac are not changed it would seem. It only changes the songs on the mobile devices.

If anyone else has this problem, to fix it and go back to good old syncing, firstly turn off iCloud music on all devices, then plug into iTunes, disable music syncing to the device, apply and wait until your devices library is empty. Then enable it and it should sync the files out of your computers iTunes library.