Question about ordering from AT&T — card charges or held funds?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by joshrholloway, Jul 11, 2010.

1. joshrholloway macrumors member

joshrholloway

If I order an iPhone 4 online from AT&T, will any charges hit my card before it ships? Or will they hold funds?

The reason I ask is that I am on multiple pre-order lists at several stores... I'm thinking of order from AT&T because I'm seeing some people get phones shipped within 24 hours. But I don't want to be one of the unlucky few who seem to be waiting for two weeks for shipment all the while funds are being held by my card and Apple emails me telling me my pre-order is ready.

I know a lot of you here ordered online from AT&T, so what has been your experience regarding your card getting charged?

Thanks!

(P.S. Also, we are ordering the phone on my wife's line but actually putting it on my line. Do they add the data plan charge to our account right away or only if we actually activate the phone?)

2. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

For me, ordering through the Premier website, they put a hold on my card for the purchase price for the entire duration that the phone was in backorder. The charge was then posted to my account one day after I had activated and received the phone. Most likely you will be without the funds the entire duration, but keep in mind that AT&T is shipping phones out rather quickly. I only had to wait a little over a week for mine.

As for the data plan, it will become active when you activate the phone, not when you order it.4

3. rickolis macrumors member

rickolis

Just use a credit card (not debit card) for the purchase. Your statement will close monthly and only posted charges are included. You also don't have to worry about funds availability unless you are maxing out your credit limit (which then you either need to limit spending or have them increase your limit). Reg E also protects you further. It's a no brainer.