Question about ordering online AND queuing up at the local Apple Store

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SMIDG3T, Sep 15, 2013.

1. SMIDG3T Suspended

SMIDG3T

Hello all.

If, when orders begin this Friday, I order an iPhone 5s but still queue ay my local Apple Store and happen to get one, I was just wondering if the money would have been taken out of my account before I could cancel? Obviously this depends on the bank but I'm just curious if anybody else has done this before?

That's my plan of action, because, as many, I'd like a 5s on launch if possible.

Thanks in advance.

2. user-name-here macrumors 65816

I'd call up apple and find out when in the process you can cancel.

Would hate to order online at midnight, then get go to the store to find out there is a small line and you are guaranteed to get one, only to find out it's too late in the ordering process to cancel (even if they money hasn't been taken out of your account yet).

3. SMIDG3T thread starter Suspended

SMIDG3T

Yes. That's exactly what I'm thinking will happen.

I guess I'll have to queue up and hope I get one, if not, quickly order one and hope I still get one within the first batch so I don't have to wait a long while.

4. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Do you have an upgrade? Because once you order online, that upgrade might change to full retail price when you do buy it in store.

5. denny14 macrumors newbie

This is exactly what happens. If you are in line at your carrier, you might be ok. The carrier applies your upgrade and it is a pain to get them to change on launch day. This happened to people in line at the Apple store for the 5 and they were pretty upset and apple couldn't help them out.

6. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

Typically when I order phones from apple I'm not billed till a week or more after I had the phone. They do pre authorize when it ships but the charge drops back off.

I've never been pre authorized right when I order.

My only concern would be if you're using a carrier upgrade. Once you order online it'd likely change your eligibility. Otherwise if full price I doubt it'd be an issue. Although I'd rather avoid risk so I'd stick to one or other.

7. SMIDG3T thread starter Suspended

SMIDG3T

No I don't. I'm one of them people who just buys the handset outright.

8. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Oh well, in that case, you might be able to cancel the order before a certain cutoff time.

9. njn007 macrumors regular

njn007

^^^This.

To anyone else other than the OP who is in this situation (since OP buys outright they are in a different circumstance), do NOT do both. My date was changed instantly, which then ruined my pricing after camping out. It was taken care of after a few weeks, but it was very time-consuming and frustrating. This is why I'm glad to see no online pre-orders through Apple- it prevents me from having to make the important decision of whether I want to camp or not LOL :p