Question about Radioshack

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AbjectEvolution, Jun 14, 2010.

1. AbjectEvolution macrumors 6502

I usually always go through Apple themselves for everything Apple related, however Radioshack is offering a pretty good deal. They are taking preorders tomorrow like everyone else, except they are only asking for $50 to preorder. On top of that, they are buying used iPhones so that you can put the money towards the iPhone 4.

I'm worried about going through them though. I called them for info and the guy said they are doing a conference call tonight to find out more details including when they will have the phone in. I want my iPhone 4 on launch day when the store opens and I don't want to get stuck waiting who knows how long. I would be pissed for not going with Apple for the purchase. So does anyone happen to know the exact details as to when Radioshack will be getting the iPhone 4?

For those who don't know much about this, here is some more info. The guy said that they are taking preorders for $50 through a gift card which secures you a phone and puts $50 towards it. He also said that in order to pick up your phone, you have to call and setup an appointment because they will only have so many. He said they can set the appointments for before the store opens so that you can go in and get the phone right away.

He also told me something like $100-$200 for an iPhone 3GS 32g, but I heard someone say they could get $200 for a 16g. I thought maybe I would get more seeing as though my phone is a 32g and is literally in perfect condition. Anyone else have experience with this?

2. AbjectEvolution thread starter macrumors 6502

3. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

RS has not been very forthcoming with info and it has really pushed me away from dealing with them for the iPhone 4. It's $100 for a 3G iPhone and $200 for a 3GS iPhone if you decide to trade your iPhone in. Best Buy just released their details today and RS has not followed in those footsteps at all. If you really want one on launch day I would look to other options honestly.

4. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

RS doesn't have their details yet. My friend is a manager for a Radio Shack store. They are finding out their details today. He is going to give me a call as soon as he knows anything.

To be honest, I probably wouldn't buy my phone from Radio Shack if my friend didn't manage the store, and I still might not. I have not had good experiences with RS in the past. My friend is a great guy, and he'll take care of me, but any other store, I would hesitate.

By the way, you can get a LOT more money selling your phone on Craigslist.

I am selling my iPhone 3G 16GB for $300 because it is unlocked and jailbroken. RS was only going to give me $100 for it.

5. TehReaper macrumors regular

I also called Radio Shack and have a friend working there. He's going to let me pre-order my phones tomorrow at 8 AM. Hopefully they will release more details later tonight.

6. AbjectEvolution thread starter macrumors 6502

I would love to sell on CL. I have a 32g 3GS in perfect condition with new headphones and charging cable. Only problem is that it has the 3.1.3 firmware which means you can't unlock it. I have had the phone up for a week with no good offers and I have the add set to $350. The other problem is that I don't want to sell my phone until the 23rd because I don't want to be without a phone. And yet another problem is that I don't have $350 or whatever to full out buy the new phone with tax tomorrow, and RS is doing preorders for only $50.

7. njpodder macrumors regular

There is a pretty lengthey discussion aobut this going on in the following thread:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=932502

I just got back from Radio Shack and had them quote my actual phone (so they could look it over and make sure it worked, etc.) I have a 16 GB iPhone 3g. They quoted (With power cord as well) $139.00 trade-in credit. I know I could get more on eBay, etc. but not to hvae to deal with the hassle of it is worth it for me to just trade it to them and be done with it.

8. Jnyce macrumors regular

After reading your post, I decided to call radioshack in my local area nyc. I was told that they would be opening early and that the phone would be there on the 24th. They would take my 8gb 3g as a trade in for 100. The rep seemed to be very informative and even took down my info. AT&T reps on the other hand tend to be very uninformed.

9. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Wait until the week that the iPhone 4 releases. The unlock for 3.1.3 is supposed to be released that week which will increase the value of your iPhone.

10. zacharace macrumors member

I guess it can go both ways (especially depending on the locale, as your post highlights), but I think I'm more willing to trust AT&T (as the carrier) and especially Apple than I am Radio Shack. I was giving this a little thought but now that I've read this thread...definitely not. Too much to risk. :p

Also, AT&T's done this three times before...one would think they'd have it down by now. Has RS ever done an iPhone launch event before?

11. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

By the way, I'll try and post whatever details I find out when my friend calls me today, but it will probably be all over the internet in just a few seconds anyway. :)

12. NoShoreGuy macrumors regular

I just talked to my Radio Shack here, they said I can come in tomorrow place a preorder which guarantees me a phone on the 24th, plus I can trade in my old 3g 8gb for $147.00...this is based on their website trade in figure. Sounds good to me!

13. LAS22 macrumors regular

any know if the the $50 refundable?

btw, here's today's quote for both my 32gb and 16gb 3GSs. i think i could get a little more on CL.

*lighter wear = highest rating, 4 stars:
    [​IMG]

14. NoShoreGuy macrumors regular

I have been trying CL for 2 weeks, all I get is someone who wants it for their son who is studying overseas, sight unseen, will send extra for shipping....sounds like a scam to me. I've gotten 2 of these from 2 different people. Same story....

15. AbjectEvolution thread starter macrumors 6502

Is that $301 quote only for online shipped trade ins, or does that include in store as well? If they will give me $300, I'll jump at it.

16. bella92108 macrumors 68000

As a former Radioshack store manager, I give advice to steer clear of the shack for this type of thing. The stores are absolutely clueless of how many units they'll see on launch day. Each district will have an analysis run and the stores total wireless sales from a similar launch a year ago will be used to determine which store, and how many they will receive on launch. In a typical launch of a new phone, a district (20-50 stores) will get approximately 300 phones. 90 percent of those phones will go to the high-volume stores (usually the top 5 stores in wireless volume) and then the remainder will be distributed to those stores with lower volume.

Regardless of what a store rep tells you, they DO NOT KNOW how many phones they will get until their transmit completes the night before the delivery to the store. Additionally, the phones will come via UPS, which can arrive in some stores as late as 4 pm. If you take Radioshack as a whole, the odds of your corner store getting more than 1 or 2 iPhones on launch day is EXTREMELY slim. It's the way it's always been with Radioshack unfortunately, which is why I'd avoid them for this type of launch.

17. LAS22 macrumors regular

did this online just to check, did go through with it though.

18. TeamDNA macrumors 6502

major scam.. hhahah

19. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

Totally a scam. Stay far away from these.

Only sell on Craigslist to people who are willing to meet you in a public place, like a coffee shop, and only for cash.

If it's for an expensive item, I usually take along a counterfeit cash pen, which you can get at Staples. It lets you know when a bill is counterfeit.