Question about returning 6 for the 6 plus.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by paulie6978, Oct 3, 2014.

1. paulie6978 macrumors 6502a

paulie6978

So i originally bought the iphone 6 from best buy. I will be returning it for the plus.I now see the plus is available for local pick up at an apple store.

Can i buy the plus through apple for full price, return my 6 to best buy and then buy the phone and have apple change it to an upgrade in store since I am returning my 6?

thanks

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Other then T-Mo, Apple is not yet selling their phones full price AFAIK. I don't think there's a way for you to get the IP6+ before returning your current phone, other then starting a new line.

3. vietalogy macrumors 6502

I bought one full price at Apple.

4. paulie6978 thread starter macrumors 6502a

paulie6978

I am within the 14 day window to return my 6.

Also apple would be charging me full price ($849) but since I am returning the 6 im guessing my upgrade will revert back to eligible like before I purchased the 6?

5. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I also bought a AT&T 6 at full price/no contract from Apple.

6. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

In the U.S.? What carrier model?

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Fair enough, I'm wrong. You can pay full price now. I was under the impression you couldn't.

8. paulie6978 thread starter macrumors 6502a

paulie6978

9. paulie6978 thread starter macrumors 6502a

paulie6978

well i was able to buy the silver iphone 6 plus at the full price. I plan on returning my 6 to best buy and then going to pick up my plus at the apple store.

I'm guessing they will see that i have an upgrade and will charge me the 399, 2 year price instead of full.

10. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

TL;DR - Just return your 6 at BB. Then go to apple store and see if they can process a return for your 6 Plus and repurchase that same device with a contract. Make sure you check that your eligibility has been reset. Or else it may give you headache.

Also why not just buy it as device only? I mean the phone will be unlocked out of the box and you can use on different carrier if you later plan on traveling.

I believe you are going to get a lot of different answers. Because each store does it differently. When I went to AT&T store and I talked to the manager about few days before launch day as I was having issues trying to place an online order for the 6 Plus as the apple.com couldn't connect with my server.

Anyways I asked the manager about this similar situation and she told me that if you buy a phone full price at the AT&T store or even adding a line just to get the phone and then canceling the line afterward, and having to add that phone back into your current line, they can't do it because once you return the phone, the system marks that phone as a return device and then marks it as unsaleable. So they can't resale that device. And have to take that back.

Now I'm not sure if this is true because it was really busy at the time I was there and I did not want to waste anymore of my time, so I just left it at that. But of course this was at the AT&T store at my location. IT may be different for every store.

I'm not sure how apple works on this, but you might have to go and experience it for yourself and see. I've heard some say that it is doable at the apple store but YMMV.

11. paulie6978 thread starter macrumors 6502a

paulie6978

yes i plan on returning to BB and then going to apple and picking mine up. I will make sure it gets reset on my current line so i dont need to pay the full price.

12. vietalogy, Oct 3, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2014

vietalogy macrumors 6502

iPhone 6 Att 64GB silver. Yes in the states.

13. dazex macrumors member

Question about returning 6 for the 6 plus.

I did almost the exact scenario.

I returned the 6minus. I had to wait till my upgrade eligibility reset. And that varies depending on the server load. It took an hour because it was launch weekend.

The iPhone 6+ I reserved had to be process as a return before the can move the phone to "in store" inventory and resell to me. Because I had purchased it online, I had to wait on hold and talk to the apple rep via phone to cancel the order. So that the instore staff could move it to the instore inventory.

It a little YMMV depending on how good the Apple Store employee is to recognize all the steps necessary to process it. So prepare to get no for answers. Or to have patience with the apple employee. They may have to go to the back to check info.

In the end, I was able to get my 6 returned. And walk out with the 6+ I purchased for in store pickup using my upgrade eligibility.

Mission accomplished. 64gb space grey iPhone+ on launch Sat. :)