Question about selling an iPhone 4s

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hls811, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Hls811 macrumors 6502a

Hls811

Most likely when the next iPhone comes out i'll be selling my current 4S. I'd like to keep my Verizon Unlimited plan so I'm expexting to pay full price for the phone and offset the cost by selling my 4S..

I'm one of those guys who walks around with thier phone naked, I dont like the extra bulk or feel of cases.. because of htis my phones probably a 7 out of 10. The back glass is flawless, theres a tiny scratch on the frontm an then it took a faceplant once but luckily the only damage is to the thin black bexel around the glass, its flattened out in one tiny spot. the average person would pick up my phone and think its fine, but someone looking closely would see tihs stuff...

So here's my question.. I have AppleCare+ on the phone, what holds more resale value - Selling the phone as-is now and letting the new owner keep the 2 AppleCare+ replacements (at the $50 deductable) or waiting until right before I sell it and getting the phone replaced so I could sell a brand new/refurbished phone and only have one replacement left..

2. Elven macrumors 6502a

Elven

3. Hls811 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hls811

4. turaco macrumors member

you know, that is a good question...I have been bying used iphones off craigslist now for about 4 years. The best time to buy a used iphone is the week before the new one comes out, because everybody wants to get rid of what they have and upgrade to the new one. I would just replace with one you have right now with a refurb, have verizon unlock it and sell it for around $450-$500. the only problem is you need a phone to hold you over till the next one comes out....

also I bought an iphone 4 last year which came with applecare, the guy wanted like $100 extra for it.....well that never happened, I bought the phone for what everybody was buying 4's last summer, around $320 I believe. bottom line is most buyers do not care about applecare, they mostly care about the bottom line price. In the past month I have bought 2 iphone 4s's for $300 each, one for $225 and another one for $100, yes $100, you just gotta wait for the right deal :))

5. cruisencode macrumors member

If the damage is that minor, I doubt you will get a replacement. I always thought the phone had to have actual damage (cracked screen, etc.) in order to get the replacement. :confused:

6. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

with applecare+ you can replace it for whatever reason you want. I would say just sell it and be willing to just knock $50 off the price if they feel it needs replacing. I was prepared to do the same b.c I had a few small scratches, but the person didn't mind b.c it was near flawless

7. cruisencode macrumors member

I'm not sure that's true. I just read the T&C for Applecare+ and here is the relevant section (emphasis is mine).

8. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

That's really a moot point though, because he could just throw the phone onto the ground to make it nonfunctional and then get it replaced.

9. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

I was just about to say that. Just throw it in the toilet, and tell them you did it. Still get a new phone

10. cruisencode macrumors member

Well, if you tell them you did it you won't get a replacement, since intentional damage is excluded (see my quote). And if you tell them it was an accident, then it would be fraud. I guess the choice is yours. ;)

11. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

Clearly thinking wwaaaaayyy too much into it. I was taking a pic of my wiener to show my GF and the phone fell in the toilet.....the end, new phone.

12. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Why in the world would they (Apple Store people) ask someone if it was on purpose or why in the world would someone volunteer that information? Asinine.