Question about sharing App Store Apple ID

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by smirk, Nov 30, 2012.

1. smirk macrumors 6502a

smirk

Hi,

My wife and I started sharing the same Apple ID on our iPhones so we wouldn't each have to purchase the same app. However, it seems to me that this also means that our music purchases and podcasts will also be shared. Is this correct?

We both subscribe to some of the same podcasts. If she listens to one first then it will be flagged as "listened to" on my phone, even though I haven't yet listened to it, correct?

How do people usually work around this?

Thanks!

2. cnguyen0320 macrumors regular

Yes. But what I do, is I use our family Apple ID for apps and for iCloud and stuff I use my own.

3. smirk thread starter macrumors 6502a

smirk

I think that's what we're doing. My wife uses my Apple ID for the app store, but otherwise she has her own Apple ID that is used for everything else. But this podcast issue is a big one; we both consume a lot of podcasts and it would be hard to do so if we can't keep track of which ones have been listened to.

No way around this?

4. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

I don't know exactly how the new sync feature in iTunes 11 works, but Podcasts have never been iTunes Store content.

The iTunes Store merely holds a catalogue of Podcasts and links to the associated feed when you subscribe to one.

5. mantan macrumors 68000

iTunes has always been a bit clunky with podcasts....and the Podcast app was a trainwreck.

We started using Downcast. It manages Podcasts at the device level and is MUCH more efficient and managing them.

6. DefBref macrumors 6502

+1 use downcast and switch if the iCloud syncing feature in it, so each device keeps its own podcasts and bookmarks.

7. smirk thread starter macrumors 6502a

smirk

Hey everyone, thanks for your replies.

I ended up calling Apple Support to ask about Podcasting syncing, and was told that pretty much everything syncs through the cloud now except Podcasts. So the recommendation was to still use iTunes to push podcasts out to each iDevice; iTunes will then sync the played/unplayed status among devices. And since my wife and I each have our own user accounts on the computer, the podcast statuses will remain separate and we won't step on each others' toes.