Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hcopp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 3, 2003
East Lansing, MI
So i already bought a 17" iMac with a student discount, and sold it because i wanted a portable, i plan on buying a 15" PB friday. I know apples rules on student discounts, one per year, but do they enforce it? or keep record of it? I tend to beleive they dont, and it wont even come up. but i dont know, i guess i am just hoping that is what will happen. If they dont sell it to me, i will have my friend buy it, but if he buys it, will he have to be the one who takes it in if there are any problems, or could i? Thanks in advance.

cpjakes

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2003
Buffalo, NY
You should be good, this is from Apple:

--------------------------------------------------
http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/salespoliciesEdIndividual.html

PURCHASE QUANTITY
Faculty, Staff and Students purchasing from the Apple Store for Education Individuals will be allowed to purchase one each of the following per academic school year:
PowerBook or iBook

Power Macintosh G4 or iMac

Display

Printer

A maximum of two copies of any software title
--------------------------------------------------

It hasn't really been updated to the G5, but I would imagine that your iMac and PowerBook are separate.

hcopp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 3, 2003
East Lansing, MI
yeah, according to that i should be fine. but this is the agreement that comes up on the applestore website.

Who is Eligible To Purchase
The following education individuals are eligible to purchase through the Apple Store for Education individuals:

Faculty or staff member of a public or private Higher Education Institution in the United States
Student currently attending or accepted into a public or private Higher Education Institution in the United States

Qualifying purchases per academic school year (July 1 - June 30):
Power Mac, iMac, eMac, PowerBook, or iBook - One per year
Printers - One per year
Displays - Two per year
Software - Two per year

so...i am pretty much asking if they keep track of purchases. but thanks for your response, i can use that for my argument if they deny me.

zim

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2002
Yes, they do keep track and they state, somewhere, that they hold the right to audit you and your purchases, thus verifying that you are a student, staff or faculty of a higher education institution.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
i know this is not the information you asked for but if they check up on you, you may get in trouble: you aren't supposed to sell your computer purchased under edu. discount!

Agreement

I agree that I am a member of one of the defined groups above eligible to purchase and that the products being purchased direct from Apple Computer, Inc. are for my own personal, education, and/or research use.

if you wait until the end of apple defined school year (jul to jun), then you will be absolutely safe.

hcopp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 3, 2003
East Lansing, MI
ah well, this could turn into a disaster, but that first posting made it seem like i can pull it off, and the selling thing, oh well.

nickfit

macrumors member
May 31, 2003
There should be no problem whatsoever. Even if you sold your iMac, you are not violating the agreement, since you purchased it for personal use. The only audit they would conduct would be to see if you were actually a student. They would also have records about previous purchases. Yet, those records would only preclude you from getting another Apple desktop within the year. So basically, get your new powerbook. You'll love it (I say as I am typing on a 15' pb g4 1.25).

nickfit

macrumors member
May 31, 2003
By the way, hcopp, where did you find the info which included the academic year qualification? I did not see it. All in all, I still don't think it would be a problem. One way to find out for sure, though, is to order the pb.

Oh, I see it, it is when you sign in. I tend to think, though, that the agreement page is correct, since it seems to cover all the terms.

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
I'm beginning to generalize this and 'developer' discount questions into one lump category.

Any discount apple offers should be respected and only those who truly fufill all the requirements should actively pursue such discounts. This also applies to the rules of the discount (ie. the one per year and not for resale). Its a resource dilemma, specififically a commons dilemma.

This being said Apple does have the right to check over its records, if you've purchased a 17" imac since July 1, and you've already resold it thats a bit shady ..... (in general not you specifically). Also apple has been known to investigate. I know that with the dev discounts they have found that a person did not fit the requirements and charged them the amount of the discount after they had received the machine (ie. they really couldn't just say fine i don't want it then they would have to pay restocking). These are all things to keep in mind. Hcopp, i'm sure you have the purest intentions, my comments are more directed at the typically seeker of these discounts. Those who want the discount but don't want to pay taxes or those that want to profiti from it.

nickfit

macrumors member
May 31, 2003
While I still think that hcopp is not violating the spirit of the agreement, he may want to choose another option. Apple resellers, such as Club Mac or Macmall, often have deals, such as free ram, and no tax on purchases. These deals, along with not paying sales tax, often make them copetitive with education prices. If you are thinking of getting Apple Care, which I would suggest, I think that you would still be about to get the ed discount if you bought it from a reseller, which is about$80 or $100 cheaper with the ed discout. You might want to check up on that, though.

hcopp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 3, 2003
East Lansing, MI
well i have 200 of it from an apple store gift card...sooo....my choices are kinda limited, im working until 5 today, then heading out to buy it... wish me luck

nickfit

macrumors member
May 31, 2003
Good luck. I suspect, then, you are not buying it online. If they ask, I would be honest about the iMac purchase, I just would not tell them that you sold it. I would say that you need a portable as well. Surely, they won't check to see if you still have the iMac, just check to see if you are in fact a student.

diehldun

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2003
they check you?????

how does apple check? do they call the person who bought the computer? or do they call the teacher to make sure that he is one?

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
online: it's more or less an honor system, although i've heard of some people being asked to fax their student ID to apple.

at the store: you just show your student ID.

ethernet76

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2003
I think the only real way they could catch you would be to use the same apple ID to purchase both systems. Larger colleges, like say Ohio State, have 32 John Smiths at anyone given point. And cross checking for all college edu purchases would be asinine.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Originally posted by jxyama
online: it's more or less an honor system, although i've heard of some people being asked to fax their student ID to apple.

at the store: you just show your student ID.

I'm regularly asked to prove my student developer status with a class schedule and i.d.

nickfit

macrumors member
May 31, 2003
The question is, did you say nothing, or was it that you can purchase one desktop AND one portable a year--which is what I read the agreement as saying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.