Question about student edition of Dreamweaver/Photoshop

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by kit116, Aug 25, 2010.

1. kit116 macrumors newbie

Hello, I have a question about the use of dreamweaver and photoshop student editions:

I am a student, and my parents purchased the student editions of dreamweaver and photoshop for me as a student. I then did some work for their business to practice what I learned in my class. Now, I have chosen not to do any more things for them since my schedule is so crazy. They are now saying that since they bought the software, they will keep it and train someone to use the software for their business. It was my understanding that since this is a student edition, they cannot let a non-student use it for a business. Is that true?

Thank you!!!

2. Ride9650 macrumors 6502

Student editions can be used in for-profit projects by non-students, you just have to be a student to purchase the software at the discounted rate.

Besides, its not like Adobe would have a way of finding out anyways

3. UTclassof89 macrumors 6502

UTclassof89

From Adobe's own FAQ:

Can I use my Adobe Student and Teacher Edition software for commercial use?
    Yes. You may purchase a Student and Teacher Edition for personal as well as commercial use.

also...

Can I resell or give away my Adobe Student and Teacher Edition software?
    No. Adobe Student and Teacher Edition software may not be resold or given to others for free.

Can a student or teacher continue to use Student and Teacher Edition software after graduation or upon completion of training?
    Yes. After graduation or upon completion of training, an individual may continue to use Student and Teacher Edition software.

4. Bonch macrumors 6502

Bonch

You are allowed to install it on a couple machines, so legally you could keep it on your machine and your parents could install it on another. The software "phones home" so it will tell you if you try to install it on too many machines.

5. lucidmedia macrumors 6502a

This is true. Actually, the educational versions do not call home in the same way as the retail versions, so you don't have to worry about authorizing/de-authorizing your copies from machine to machine.

6. UTclassof89 macrumors 6502

UTclassof89

The academic versions have the same activation limitations the retail versions do: you cannot activate Photoshop on computer #3 without deactivating it on either computer #1 or #2.

7. AdobeBrad macrumors newbie

Hello my name is Brad. I do some work with Adobe and there are no restrictions on use for Adobe Creative Suite 5 Student and Teacher Editions. Once purchased, you can use it for commercial or in this case business purposes. One caveat though it can’t not installed on more than two computers in its lifetime, and only on one unique system at a time, they can use it for whatever they’d like to be for. Hope this helps!

8. Hermes Monster macrumors 6502a

Hermes Monster

... I'm desperate for a copy of CS5 suite, the cost is ridiculous for the full retail version so I can understand why they want to keep it!

I got excited as my gf is technically a student, and was hoping. She could get me a student copy, alas she doesn't qualify :(

Sorry I'm not adding anything to the thread, just moaning

9. Ride9650 macrumors 6502

Are you in the US? I'm pretty sure that US students should be able to get some kind of discount. I'd have her look into it again.

If that fails, you could try a third party retailer for students(like journyEd or academic superstore), they might be a little more lenient as long as your gf can prove she's actually a student.

10. Hermes Monster macrumors 6502a

Hermes Monster

Thanks for the info but I'm in the UK unfortunately. The stipulation that ruins it is the part that says something like "must be in full time education for two years" and she only does a few evenings...the fact it's an accountancy course probably doesn't help:p

I've resigned myself to getting the CS3 suite, which should be adequate and can be found for 2-400 pounds

11. AdobeBrad macrumors newbie

Hey,

Yeah guys the requirements include being enrolled in an accredited university or college which grants degrees that require at least 2 years of full-time study and having a valid ID to confirm you are currently enrolled. If you meet these requirements, you will be able to get the discount of up to 80% off the commercial price through the proof of eligibility process. Let me know if you have anymore questions