Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LiveFreeDie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 19, 2010
So I have transferred all my apps, music, movies from my PC to a new Macbook pro and have authorized the macbook in itunes. I went to add some new music onto my iPhone from the new macbook and itunes told me that I would have to erase all the apps, music and videos currently on my iPhone and sync it with this new itunes library on the macbook. I didn't think it would be a big deal because I moved all my files over to the new macbook anyways, then I thought about this...

Will this "erase and sync" process automatically update my iPhone to the newest firmware? I'm currently jailbroken and the last thing I want is to update my iPhone to the newest firmware and lose the jailbreak. And if this process does not automatically update to the newest firmware will it also erase the jailbroken apps as well? If so, does that cause issues in itself?

If someone could give me a definite answer on this matter it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. :eek:

Last edited:

inselstudent

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
I don't think it does. And even if it tried, it'd first have to download the latest firmware which gives you enough time to unplug your phone.

Edit:
Jailbreak apps aren't touched either.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
I didn't think it would be a big deal because I moved all my files
IIRC your content and your library are two different things. Moving your content doesn't move your library. As a result your Macbook has an entirely new library even though the library contains the same content.

Will this "erase and sync" process automatically update my iPhone to the newest firmware?
No. Erasing and syncing your content only affects your content. Firmware update only affects firmware.

bigcstyle4

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2012
If you copy the ENTIRE iTunes folder, including library files, from your old computer to the new one, the phone will treat it as the same library and you won't lose anything.

LiveFreeDie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 19, 2010
Thanks for the advice guys. I tested it out on my jailbroken iPad first just because my jb iPhone is more valuable to me haha. But as what was said it did not update to the newest firmware and everything re-sync'd no problem.

As far as copying the entire itunes folder from my pc to my mac... I thought about it but wasn't sure if that would work just because it was indeed a pc itunes library folder and going to a mac.

Again, thanks for the help.

ps. The Macbook Pro with retina is so awesome. Its tough for me to use a non-retina monitor now haha.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.