Question about The Parrot AR.Drone

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by m021478, Jul 29, 2010.

1. m021478 macrumors 6502

I am sure many of you have heard about the exciting new toy that has just become available for pre-sale: The Parrot AR.Drone

My question about this neat little gizmo is this... It only works on WiFi right? Then I imagine the notion of using this thing outdoors is a virtual impossibility (in practically all outdoor spaces, with the exception of a handful of WiFi-ready parks)... In other words, I couldn't take the thing to the park at the end of my block or to the lake a couple miles away from my home and expect this thing to work at all, right (assuming that neither of these two places has WiFi that is)?

Thanks!

2. brucem91 macrumors 6502

Not necessarily. Most modern OS's are able to create it's own wifi network. If you are using a Mac portable, you just click on the airport icon, and click on "CREATE NETWORK", and follow the prompts. Then the parrot should be able to join no problem.

3. guywoodman7 macrumors member

Check out the official site here...

http://ardrone.parrot.com/parrot-ar-drone/usa/

I just preordered mine after reading up on it. The drone generates it's own wifi network. So it is not dependant on an Internet connected network. It's just using the network for pure connectivity.

So from what I'm understanding from their site, I can be in the middle of nowhere and still play with this thing.

Price tag is a bit steep, but I've always wanted a remote control flying device. And this thing is just way too cool to pass up.