Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TristAndShout

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2019
A while back in the school year my choir director gave me her old iPod touch. She noticed that I had a Walkman, and told me that since I liked old music devices I could have it. It’s got quite a bit of solid music (mostly musical soundtracks) and even has some games such as a really old version of Angry Birds.

However, something that intrigued me was that when I looked underneath the rubber case, I noticed that on the back of the device (pictured below) was the word “sing.” engraved in a simple white font right above the Apple logo. Does anyone know exactly why this is here? It clearly wasn’t on every iPod model, and feeling the thing it also clearly isn’t a decal or sticker. Like I said, my choir director gave it to me, so could that have something to do with it?? I can’t find any scrapling of information online, so I’m asking around different forums in search of information. Thanks!

EAE445F9-8AA9-4297-9D8D-35B5910C567E.jpeg

Reactions: Slix

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
If I remember correctly - you used to be able to order them engraved and personalized? Maybe that is what that is?

BTW - I have the exact same model - running iOS version 5.1.1 :)

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
@mikzn is correct. :) Apple still allows you to do free engravings on iPads, iPods, and other stuff from ordering on Apple.com, and they used to allow it on the first iPhone if I recall. I have a few iPods that I got second hand that have engravings, though I never got them myself. Here's a link to their current offerings: https://www.apple.com/shop/engraving-and-gift-wrap

That said, I like that engraving!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.