Question about upgrading to 5S using family member's upgrade

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Davewithak, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Davewithak macrumors regular

We have Verizon's Share Everything plan. I have an iPhone 5 and my mom has an iPhone 4S. My mom is eligible for an upgrade, but she doesn't want the new phone. Is it possible for her to get the iPhone 5S for $199, and then just exchange phones with me while retaining our phone numbers?

2. sumsingwong macrumors 6502a

sumsingwong

You may have to go into a Verizon store to reprogram the phones to switch phone numbers unlike AT&T which is GSM and uses SIM cards that you can just switch out.

3. blhoward2 macrumors 6502

Even with AT&T I always end up having to make a visit. You can switch the SIM card but they track the UDID and IMEI of the phone on the account. It always looks like I have no signal on the new phone and they have to use a brand new SIM card and reprogram it.

As for OP, I've done this probably a dozen times on AT&T with no problem so I doubt you'd have a problem doing it on Verizon.

4. swish2351 macrumors 6502

Just call Verizon and the rep on the phone will be able to do this. Also, if you call now, you can have your mom's transfer sent to you

@sumsinwong, no

5. sumsingwong macrumors 6502a

sumsingwong

When I upgraded my iPhone 5 on one of my lines last year, all I had to do was call AT&T to completely switch the numbers with the new phone. I didn't have to visit any store.

6. Jimbo47 macrumors 6502a

You can transfer her upgrade on Verizon's website. Just wait until you go to buy the phone, because when you exit the website it reverts back.

Login to the website. Hover over "My Verizon" and click upgrade device. Below the pictures of the phones you'll see "Transfer Upgrade". Just click that and select the phone number you want to transfer it to.

7. corduroygt macrumors regular

Verizon iPhone 5's also use SIM cards just like AT&T. You can just switch SIMs there as well provided the sizes (nano-sim) are the same between 2 VZ phones. Have no problems using an iPhone 5 sim in a Galaxy with an adapter.

8. Davewithak thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the advice everyone. I have to go to Verizon in the morning anyways, so I'll tell them what I wanna do and let them handle it. I just wanted to make sure it was possible.