Question about upgrading to an unlocked iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by evillageprowler, Dec 10, 2012.

1. evillageprowler macrumors regular

I have an iPhone 4S, still on AT&T contract. If I were to buy an unlocked iPhone 5, how do I move my existing mobile # to the new device?

Also, will I be able to get my existing 4S unlocked? I'm not asking to terminate my contract early.

TIA,

EVP

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You go to AT&T and ask them to give you a nanosim with your number so you can use it on an iphone 5.
    You can unlock your 4S once its out of contract or by purchasing an IMEI unlock on ebay.

3. dave006 macrumors 68020

As Applejuiced indicated the first part is very easy and depending on where / how you purchase the unlocked iPhone 5, they may setup you new iPhone 5 for you with your phone number.

You can also just cut down your existing Micro-SIM to a Nano-SIM size and use it in your new iPhone 5.

The second part about your iPhone 4S is a little more complex. First just because you purchase a new unlocked iPhone 5 nothing changes on your existing contract. So that means that AT&T will not just unlock your iPhone 4S since you have not completed your 2 year commitment. AT&T will require you to wait until your 2 year commitment is over in most cases. Sometimes a Care rep will unlock it for you but that is not the current the current AT&T policy.

However, as Applejuiced has suggested, once you get your new iPhone 5 working you can always purchase an unlock of your iPhone 4S via eBay.

Dave