Question about Verizon iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macman312, Oct 27, 2012.

1. macman312 macrumors 6502

I need some clarification.....

I want to buy a Verizon "off contract iphone 5" as it is cheaper in the US than where I live (Australia), the model number is the same (A129) as are the frequencies so on that basis I should be OK.

From what I understand they are unlocked to use on any network with a nano sim is that correct? So I could order one from verizon use it while I am in the US next month, stick an Australian sim into it when I get home and it will be all good to go. What would the process be to change the phone from CDMA to GSM mode be? IE so I can put a sim card in it and it would it just start working ( or is it just a button in settings or is it more complicated than that?)

Any help appreciated

thx

Attached Files:

2. darster Suspended

Yes, they are unlocked. Just swap sims after intial activation. Hopefully you will be able to find one when you are here.

3. macman312 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks so just some more clarification..... I will want a US phone while I am there will verizon give me a sim card or are they ONLY CDMA? Also does anyone know how the month by month plan works? As in I don't want to cancel my account but suspend it? and then next time I am in the US just reactivate it?

According to their website it will ship before 16 november that's before I arrive so if I order one next week it should arrive by my calculations late november.

Only other problem is I can't put my Australian address in to their system for billing so I might have to think of a way to get around this one...... When are stores just going to have stock so you can walk in and buy one because honestly that would be the easiest.

Anyway any help is much appreciated

4. Lyshen macrumors 6502

(VZ iPhone 5 includes sim card, whether subsidized or paid full price)

iPhone5 on Verizon use sim cards for service/account. So if you take out the Sim card of iPhone 5, no more service. But you can put another GSM sim card in like AT&T, Tmobile, etc and it'll work on their network

I am paying mine month to month but not planning to suspend it. Probably can suspend it but not sure how long time wise, someone would need to chime in and clarify.

5. Mr Hill macrumors 6502

Verizon doesn't do the sim card only thing for people who travel occasionally to the States. Your best bet is to use one of the GSM carriers in the US while here instead of Verizon.

AT&T, T-Mobile, or Straight Talk are you options. I believe AT&T doesn't allow internet access on their Pay as you Go plans though.

6. macman312 thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't want to be paying for a phone in the US when I am not in the US(that's why I want to suspend it.

I am going to email verizon and see what the deal with cancelling the month-month plan. I think from what I read on the website that there is a re-connect fee of US$35 but I am not sure

thanks for all the help