Question for 13” rMBP owners

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ncrypt, Feb 22, 2013.

1. ncrypt macrumors regular

I’m planning on buying a 13” rMBP, I just wanted to ask a few questions first though:

•Is the current generation reliable and okay in terms of build quality? –I’ve read a lot on this forum issues with image retention, and screen coloring and brightness.

•Do you do any kind of editing on the machine (Final Cut, Photoshop, iMovie etc)? I know the 15” is recommended for those kinds of tasks, but at the end of the day, that’s out of my budget. I don’t mind if factors such as exporting/rendering take longer on the 13” (which is inevitable), but is the actual editing/usage of those kinds of programs smooth?

I’m aware that what I’ve been reading on this forum is going to have more of a negative bias since most people only write if they have a problem or question, but seeing that this laptop will be taking me through uni, I want to make sure what I buy is going to serve me well or whether it’s worth waiting for the second generation (or third if you count to early 2013 update) before buying.

2. Hungry&Foolish Suspended

I'd say go for it. Don't play the waiting game. And if by chance you are not satisfied return it. Get a refurbished one.

3. KPOM macrumors G5

Build quality has been excellent. This is a rock solid machine. I don't notice image retention issues (which is different from saying I can't find the most minute evidence of such after an extreme test), and the screen color and brightness are good and can be adjusted with calibration.

The next model likely will be out by late summer, in time for back-to-school promotions. The main improvements will be battery life and graphics performance. Maybe we'll see another price drop (though not as dramatic as what we just saw).

4. Sean76 macrumors 6502

Sean76

While I'm not as optimistic as others, and think Apples quality control has 100% slipped since the loss of Steve Jobs...I still say go for it!

Its generally a gamble when buying an Apple product these days...Whether you buy today or down road really won't make that much of a difference. I went through about 4 rMBP units in the last week because of some very irritating build issues ranging from Scratches on the machine out of the box, Broken sensors that affected the backlighting on the machine as well as the backlit keyboard, & 2 with loose internals that rattled around inside the machine when moved!

However you may strike Gold on your 1st try, and who's to say these issues won't affect future models. Its just the way it is these days. IMO a machine that costs as much as these rMBP's do should be flawless out of the box, but those days are gone and things just aren't made the same anymore...

All in all, I say go for it...The machine I picked up yesterday is just fine and has put a smile on my face and made me a very happy camper for the price I got it for. Good Luck : )

5. ncrypt thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys, I definitely don't want to play the waiting game, although if I do buy one, it'd be around mid-April if that changes anything?

Has anyone tried doing any editing on it?

6. KPOM macrumors G5

I generally don't do editing. I occasionally touch up photos using Aperture which is OK. The 15" would be better suited because of the quad core, but depending on what you are coming from the 13" should probably be OK, as well.

Based on Intel's scheduled release dates for the mobile Haswell processors (May or June) we will probably see the refreshed MacBook Pros in July. The processors will be marginally faster (unless Apple uses the reduced power consumption as an opportunity to offer a quad-core in the 13" for the first time, which I consider a long shot). However, the graphics will be significantly better, so that might help with editing. If Apple drops the non-Retina MacBook Pro we might see another price drop, too.

7. cpuin macrumors member

I bought rMBP 13" 2.5GHz Core i5, unfortunately the performance is not what i expected.I'm not talking about running some CAD or Photoshop App.Probably it is because 13" MB Pro has integrated Video Card and the CPU uses more power for the Retina display.

I sold it and i ordered MB Pro 13" Retina 3.0GHz Core i7, i'll report for it as soon as i get it.

8. ncrypt thread starter macrumors regular

How come? Was it the UI that was laggy or were those programs just generally slow?

9. eljimberino macrumors member

Yes, and which programs? I call troll.

10. tmanto02 macrumors 65816

tmanto02

I use mine for photoshop CS6 everyday and it is perfect - I have never seen the spinning beach ball. However I don't do video editing or gaming so I couldn't comment. Wouldn't imagine it would be too good for it.