Question for 15" 2.53GHz mid-2009 MBP owners...Fan burst on wake from sleep

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sr.pants, Aug 27, 2009.

1. sr.pants macrumors newbie

Does your fan rev-up or accelerate when coming out of sleep? I don't remember mine doing so when I first got it, but I finally got around to doing the "recommended" calibration technique and ever since then it has been doing so. I've read a similar thread from mid-2009 13" mbp owners stating the same thing, but haven't read anything about the low-end 15" (which is the only other new mbp that only has 1 fan). I just want to know if it's the norm or if there is something wrong.

2. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

Nope, not here. Do you have some sort of fan control? That might play a role.

3. sr.pants thread starter macrumors newbie

I haven't installed any fan control yet. I just installed iStat so I could figure out how fast it was spinning, but it was doing so before the install.

I tried the smc reset to no avail. I suppose I could try reinstalling Leopard, but I'm not sure what that would accomplish. I'm wondering if following Apple's recommended batt calibration did something. I let the machine force itself to sleep as suggested and left it overnight in that state. Ever since then it has been exhibiting strange behavior.

4. wallace0134 macrumors newbie

My mid-2009 2.53 GHz uMBP does do a quick burst/rev-up of the fan after waking from sleep, then immediately ramps back down. It's always been that way for me for both sleep and a cold boot.

5. sclough macrumors regular

Strangely enough my 2.53Mhz June 2009 15" did not do it, but I just replaced it with the new 2.53Mhz with anti-glare and it does a fan burst on wake up.

6. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Perform an SMC reset. Usually when you get weird or sudden fan action, SMC reset cures those problems. I know that it works for iMac's 90% of the time. I'd give that a try. It's not happening on Late-2008 models.

7. sr.pants thread starter macrumors newbie

I had tried the smc reset a number of times and it didn't make any difference. The only reason I even noticed it was that it hadn't done so until after the battery calibration. I suppose it may be coincidence that it started after that.

8. Nickm4N macrumors member

Mine does it too, but who cares. It's simply waking up. The fans go down immediately.

9. sr.pants thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies...if mine had done it from the beginning I wouldn't have cared either. It's just the change in behavior and the fact that some seem to not do it (at least according to one poster) that had me concerned.

10. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Does it for me every time, and has done so since I got it. SMC reset doesn't help anything.